HPE EVA Storage
1752799 Members
5781 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Hot-add disk shelf to MSA P2000 G3 SAS

tferro999

Hot-add disk shelf to MSA P2000 G3 SAS

I have an MSA P2000 G3 SAS with 3 12-drive LFF disk shelves.  

I found the cabling guide but it does not address the actual steps needed to hot-add an additional disk shelf while the SAN is running.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02254382/c02254382.pdf

Anyone have this info?

5 REPLIES 5
laky18
Occasional Advisor

Hi, same problem here. Customer need to add D2700 enclosure online to P2000.

In P2000 manual this procedure is hot-add (but with no further instructions).

In D2700 is notice that servers/controllers need to be offline before connecting enclosure.

So where is the truth ? :)

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The only hint in the P2000/MSA2000 manual:

"P2000 G3 MSA System controller enclosures support hot-plug replacement of redundant
controller modules, fans, power supplies, and I/O modules. Hot-add of drive enclosures is also supported." (page24)

Consider to ask HP support for details.

I would do this offline, whenever possible.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

I think you would need to add the Empty enclosure to the chain then put in the disks in order for them to be added to the map, since the redraw of the device map happens on boot or disk insertion, I'm not sure if a populated shelf appearing would behave the same. Still better done offline though.

Hi I have the same problem. It appears that the D2700 is NOT hot add in the normal sense of the word.

I have just been sent the following instructions from HP  to complete the process

---

Thank you for the email.

As discussed, here is the information regarding the addition of an enclosure online:

Hot-add of drive enclosures is also supported; however, the preffered method to add additional enclosures, whenever possible, is to do it offline

The procedure to hot add a disk enclosures is the following:

NOTE: It is strongly recommend to take a full backup, then schedule this task when usage is down to the absolute minimal activity.

1. No hard disk should be installed on the brand new enclosures, doing so would push the P2000 to configure too many different components at once.

2. Shutdown controller A, re-cabling the path for controller “A”, and then reseat the controller to start it.

3. Wait at least for 2 minutes to confirm that controller A has booted and has found the new enclosures.

4. Shutdown controller B, re-cabling the path for controller “B”, and then reseat the controller to start it.

5. Wait at least for 2 minutes to confirm that controller B has booted and has found the new enclosures.

6. Check the enclosure firmware, if outdated, update them to the current firmware version.

7. Then add the hard disks, no more than two at a time, allow 20 to 30 seconds , then confirm that SMU has recognized them.

8. Repeat this operation until all the disks have been installed and detected

---

I will attempt to do this in the next few days after a backup and when I it can be scheduled for a time of low disk activity. Note HP sent me this info after a lot of trouble shooting. Here's hoping it will work so I can get the D2700 up and running.

I will update the forum on how it goes ...

MikeEG
Occasional Visitor

Okay I went through this procedure and this has not solved the problem I have - which is that the Management Console keeps reporting that the D2700 has a disk slot error in one of the slots that does not have a disk in it. 

I would be interested to know if anyone else has seen this issue as HP appears to not know what is causing it.