HPE EVA Storage

How can I determine what channels my Microsoft Servers are using?

TomEVAinfant
Occasional Advisor

How can I determine what channels my Microsoft Servers are using?

Hi guys,

We have a 144*146GB Disk Group (DG) that has SAP, Exchange and SQL on it. I suspect, without a precise calculation, that we are using a lot of IOPS (esitmated 21000 available on DG).

Our Unix guys can tell on their Servers that they are using all 8 Fibre Channels down to the Switches, one of these has a queue depth of 30 (Constantly, and seen from the UNIX Server).

Do you know of a way that I can determine if my Windows Servers are doing the same thing (using all 8 channels)? I am certain we are over-allocated for IOPS on the DG but I need to prove this before we spend 20k buying disks for a NEW DG for SAP. management want us to prove that the Windows systems are not the cause of High Queue Depth on the one channel and that this in turn is the reason for performance issues on SAP.

Any help much appreciated.
1 REPLY 1
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor

Re: How can I determine what channels my Microsoft Servers are using?

Is this in an EVA? you can get a lot of information using EVAperf, and the performance counters it installs on Windows Performance monitor.

You can monitorize the host connections and see how many I/Os are coming from each one, and how long is the queue depth in each one.

On a Windows server the MPIO driver should be set to load balancing the traffic between ports, using SQST algorithm for example.

Chechk this paper:

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/5983-1674EN.pdf