HPE EVA Storage
1752555 Members
4870 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to backup the EVA 4400 configuration?

Bowtasdw
Advisor

How to backup the EVA 4400 configuration?

Hi, Where i work we have a EVA 4400, now the configuration of this EVA has never been backed up from what i can tell.

Now i want to flash up the firmware to the latest versions. but before doing this i'd really prefer to do some config backups. plus i'd like to put this practice in place anyway.

Q, we are using web based CV to manage this SAN with no CV server. now i see i can install SSU to do a config backup. but can i just install the latest version of SSU and it will be able to backup my EVA with out the firmware having to be the latest version or will i need to find the version of SSU to match my EVAs firmware?

13 REPLIES 13
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, 

SSSU comes with Command View.

If you install it on a server, install the same version of CV that you have on the WOCP/management module inside the EVA.

You could also grab a "controller configuration dump" from the CV in the management module.

Like this: 

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=3900918&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=c02641188&printver=true

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Start SSSU, select the ABM module as manager and log on.

The do

eva02> capture configuration /eva02_config.txt

This will store the config into the file.

In case of emergency you can use this file to setup the EVA again while running this while from SSSU.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bowtasdw
Advisor

Does the controller configuration dump outlined in your link grab enough information that allows the system to be restored to a running state? that might be good enough to do before any major changes.

Bowtasdw
Advisor

ok, i did the controller configuration dump from the WBADM CV and it created a tar file with a xml file in it that seems to have recorded all the details of the eva controllers setup please all the disk groups and vdisks. is the eva recoverable with this file though or do i need to do it via the sssu command above? is this controller dump more of just a config file for HP to review the system setup? or can they use this to recover the system state for you?

Also once i've upgraded how often should i backup the config? is before and after a change often enough??

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Witch the configuration backup taken by SSSU you can easily re-create all the diskgroups, vdisks, hosts and presentation. Just run as a script (or parts from this script) from SSSU.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bowtasdw
Advisor

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

The link does not work.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

The controller configuration dump output is in .XML format if I'm not mistaken (while the capture configuration is in SSSU format?).

The SSSU command reference guide has some details about using 'capture configuration' and how to restore:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02493404/c02493404.pdf