1753524 Members
5282 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to create SnapClones/Shots/Mirros from HPUX

Bruce Owen Lee
Occasional Advisor

How to create SnapClones/Shots/Mirros from HPUX

I looked for this thread but could not find it. If it has been discussed, my apologies and please point me in the right direction.

I need to create, and present snapshots in an EVA4000 from HPUX. I would like to create a "pre-exec" script that DP would run and create the snapshot, present the snapshot to the host, import the resulting VG and have DP scoop it up for a backup. After the backup a "post-exec" script would unmount the file system and un-present the snapshot LUN's and delete them from the EVA. Is this possible? If so what do I need?
7 REPLIES 7
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You need to look at SSSU "Storage System Scripting Utility" you'll find the latest userguide here:

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01376137/c01376137.pdf

This has various commands such as "ADD SNAPSHOT" etc. which look like they could do what you need.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Rich Sheridan
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, I was able to get the SSSU and install it on my HPUX system. The doc was somewhat helpful however it is geared to a windows environment. I need to run this from HPUX. Is there a service that needs to run on the storage management server (the one controlling the EVA)?
Bruce Owen Lee
Occasional Advisor

Sorry for the double post, I was logged onto a co-workers system. Please reply to original email for Bruce Lee.

Thanks, I was able to get the SSSU and install it on my HPUX system. The doc was somewhat helpful however it is geared to a windows environment. I need to run this from HPUX. Is there a service that needs to run on the storage management server (the one controlling the EVA)?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

SSSU is available for a variety of platforms.

You can find HP-UX versions here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3185481&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=471497&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=7

The actual version you need, will depend on the version of Command View EVA running on your SAN Management Appliance/Server.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob

P.S. Remember to assign points !
Bruce Owen Lee
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, I still think I am missing something however. I'm guessing there has to be a service running on the Windows server that I have to connect to. Do I need to install the SRM software on the Windows box? The docs on this are hard to find and scattered all over.
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

SSSU delivers commands via a CommandView-EVA server. So you need to have the CommandView-EVA server installed and you should be able to browse the EVA from there. You will need to enter the following when using the SSSU

Manager: (your command view server hostname)
User: (CommandView-EVA user)
Password: (Password for CommandView-EVA user)
EVA (cell/System) name: (name flashing on EVA OCP)

gstonian
Trusted Contributor

We create snapshots on a nightly basis for HPUX. Main commands I use are below. I hope this points you in the right direction.

I had to work backwards from HPUX and tie the physical volume back to the Virtual Disk on the eva

Unmount any affected Snapshot Filesystems
vgchg -a n Snapshot Volumegroups
vgexport Snapshot VolumeGroups
Use SSSU to delete any existing Snapshots -
select manager <> u=<> p=<>
select system <>
DELETE LUN "\Hosts\hostname\Snapshot1"

Use SSSU to refresh and present Snapshots -
select manager <> u=<> p=<>
select system <>
set options command_delay=5
ADD SNAPSHOT snapshot1 VDISK="\Virtual Disks\hostname\1\ACTIVE" ALLOCATION_POLICY=DEMAND REDUNDANCY=VRAID5 WORLD_WIDE_LUN_NAME = 1234-1234-1243-0123-1231-1233-01ba-0000
ADD LUN 100 VDISK="\Virtual Disks\hostname\1\snapshot1" HOST=hostname

Then once the LUN is presented to the host do the following on hpux

rescan using ioscan
Make /dev/vg snapshot directories and mknod
vgchgid all physical disks on the Snapshot LUN and vgimport
Activate and backup the new Volume Group using vgchange and vgcfgbackup
fsck the logical volume if the FS's were mounted when copied.
Mount the new Snapshot Logical Volumes