HPE EVA Storage
1753575 Members
5996 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to download brocade config (without rj45 port)

Emanuele_4
Regular Advisor

How to download brocade config (without rj45 port)

Hi everybody!

I've a problem :-)

We have a SAN Switch brocade (2/16) model with the management lan port broken. We are ready to replace the brocade with a working one and I was preparing the configuration to upload on the new brocade...but here is the problem!

I can connect via serial post to the broken brocade...but how can i do configUpload if the ethernet port is broken?

Can I download the configuration via serial port?

Thanks in advance to anybody!

Emanuele
6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You need the network port. What is wrong with it? Consider to write down your current config :-((

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Emanuele_4
Regular Advisor

Hi and thanks for your answer!

The network port is broken....no connection at all...the ip is configured but no connection is possible.
The second brocade has identical (almost) configuration and the network connection works properly.

Is it possible to save the configuration via serial (logging the terminal session) and to upload on the new brocade?

Thanks again!
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

You may run "configupload" command to upload the configuration to a FTP host. Then download the configuration from the FTP host to another switch using "configdownload" command.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you could capture the output of configshow to a text file, but I am not sure if that can be used in a configdownload on the new switch. Do a configupload from the working switch, and compare that uploaded file with your captured text.
Does the LAN interface not even work via a crossover cable to a laptop?
You could also try changing the link mode using
ifmodeset "eth0"
(check the current setting first using ifmodeshow "eth0"). Maybe "bouncing" the LAN port might help.
The only really important parameters are the switchname, Domain ID and IP address. Is the switch part of a fabric, or is it standalone?
If it's in a fabric, you don't need to worry about zoning configuration. When you connect the ISL the new switch will get the current zoning config from the fabric.
For standalone you would have to recreate the zoning configuration (capture the current config using cfgshow)

Regards,
Stephen
Bill Rothanburg
Trusted Contributor

From the serial console, save the output of the configshow and supportshow commands to text files using your terminal program's capture option.

You will need to clean up the configshow output if you intend to download it into the replacement switch.

Bharath_Pingali
Trusted Contributor

Hello Emanuele,

What sort of configuration data you would like to transfer?

If it just zoning, then configure the new switch and connect the ISL.

This should transfer the zonning data base, move the FC cables over and remove the old switch.

hope this helps.

-Thank You
Bharath