1752478 Members
5615 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to view FC HBA Queue Depth?

Dennis L W Thury
Frequent Advisor

How to view FC HBA Queue Depth?

I have a Windows 2003 Server(x64) that is having apparent IO problems to its EVA storage. This server has QLogic QMH2462 FCHBAs. I'm trying to figure how to view/monitor/report the queue depth on these HBAs (can/should I increase the HBA queue depth?). I've looked at SANSurfer, it can show IOPs, Total IOs, error counts, etc. but no queue depth, that I've seen.

Can any one point me to an appropriate utility/tool?

Thanks,
Denny
12 REPLIES 12
Marcus Schack
Trusted Contributor

Have you tried using EVAPerf? Check your Command View disk.
Marcus Schack
Trusted Contributor

This may help.
Dennis L W Thury
Frequent Advisor

Doesn't EVAperf give performance info from the EVA's view point? I'm looking for the HBA queue depth from the Server's side? If, as I suspect, the HBA is the bottleneck getting the IO requests to the EVA, EVAperf will never see them!! Am I missing something?
Marcus Schack
Trusted Contributor

Marcus Schack
Trusted Contributor

Marcus Schack
Trusted Contributor

Dennis L W Thury
Frequent Advisor

The EMC article talks about ESX/VMware; I had already seen it.

The following suggesting talks about if/how to change queue depth paramters, NOT how to view current que depths; I had already been there too.

The 3rd URL, another one I had already visited, is the QLogic driver download page, and contains pointers to SANSurfer; which I mentioned above, does not show/report queue depth information.
Marcus Schack
Trusted Contributor

Ok. Sorry but that is as far as I can go.
Rafiq Ahamed K
Occasional Advisor

Denny, I don├в t know about 2462, but with 23xx cards I remember we can get into Qlogic Card BIOS while booting (by pressing F8 I guess) and you should be able to see a parameter under advanced settings called as "Execution Throttle". You can increase it and see.

The execution throttle value indicates to the firmware how many inputs/outputs (I/Os) per port can be active at any point in time.

http://download.qlogic.com/boot_code/35440/QLx23xxbiosreadme.pdf

This parameter may not have desired effects if not used according to guidance.