HPE EVA Storage
1753624 Members
5872 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HyperV Cluster, P2000 SAS => RAID level?

Oliver Schluga
Occasional Contributor

HyperV Cluster, P2000 SAS => RAID level?

Hi there!

I want to configure a Microsoft Hyper-V cluster with two servers and one P2000 G3 SAS MSA Dual Controller.

Which raid level or raid config is recommended in this situation? One raid 6 with one spare for all volumes or one raid 10 with one
spare for all volumes?

Or mixed...?

What are the possibilities when I need to expand the vdisk / volumes?

just my thoughts:

Rebuilding the raid vdisk could take a lot of time. Creating an additional vdisk and expanding the volume is the better choice if possible?

Expanding the storage with a new shelf should be as easy as possible...

Are there any white papers or best practice? Do you have any experiences - please post it.

All suggestions are welcome

Thanks to all, Oliver
4 REPLIES 4
Sudhakar Subramaniam
Trusted Contributor

Andras Ordogh
Valued Contributor

hello Oliver,

my opinion (experience):
Raid 1 or Raid 5

Raid 1:
faster write, but less storage capacity

Raid 5:
slower write, but good capacity

Raid 6:
i never use raid 6 because performance (2 parity operation).

You have to imlement some measurement, to find i/o load.
So if your database need more performance, and you have enought money, use RAID 1, otherwise use RAID5 with spare.
(In P2000: RAID 10 and RAID 50 of course)

I think raid 50 with spare is a good choiche. Raid 50 has good read and normal write performance.

andras

Oliver Schluga
Occasional Contributor

Hi there!

resuming your answers starting with one vdisk Raid10/50 over 11 disks with one spare is a good option.

are there any white papers or other ressourcers dealing with hyper-v and P2000 SAS configuration?

thanks

oliver
Andras Ordogh
Valued Contributor

hello Oliver

you can find manuals here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=4118559

you can find user manual, cableling guide etc.
i think there is no manual to: "p2000g3 sas with hyperv step-by-step" :))) but you can find everything what you need, and if you stuck, you can ask the right question on itrc forum :)

andras

ps. please don't forget to assign points if information provided resolves your query :)