HPE EVA Storage

I'm new to storage - possible failures except controllers and disks

SOLVED
Go to solution
George Mandiliotis
Occasional Advisor

I'm new to storage - possible failures except controllers and disks

Hello, i'm new to storage so my question may be stupid - sorry anyway.
If i have a new MSA 2000 series storage with two controllers and 2 nics, what other failures can i face beside some disk error or nic / controller failure? How possible is to have my storage down from a different failure.
Thank you in advance and i apologize for this generic question...
8 REPLIES 8
Eemans Dany
Honored Contributor

Re: I'm new to storage - possible failures except controllers and disks

Hi,

It seems everyting is redundant, to only thing i did not found in you question: do you have redundant PSU connect to differant powersources.
EG: PSU 1 to UPS 1 and PSU 2 to UPS 2 or directly to the powergrid.

Dany
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Do you have two servers as well or two NICs in one server?

Is it direct connected or do you have a switch inbetween?
George Mandiliotis
Occasional Advisor

Thank you all for your answers.
Ok the scenario we design is as this one:
-2 DL380 G6 servers with win2008r2 Ent Servers for Cluster (cluster service: SQL 2005) for high availability (with 5 nics, 2 for storage iscsi availability, 2 for lan availability and 1 for heartbeat).
-2 Procurve Enterprise Full Layer 3 - 48ports Gbit Switces interconnected with the two DL380 servers for high availability, with 2 vlans for each one, one for iscsi (tottaly isolated from production lan) and one for lan.
-1 MSA 2000 series Storage with two power supplies, two controllers and two nics, configured with RAID 6 Array, interconnected with the two Procurve switches for nic / controller / power high availability. We will use iSCSI protocol.
-2 independent PDU with power from two independend UPS (from different power lines).
So with this configuration are we archiving high availability right?
if i'm loose one controller the storage will continue to give access to the data.
The same with one nic,switch, power supply, server, etc.
But on the storage side, are there any other possible failures? Are there circuits who are not redundant?
Thank you in advance, george
Marcus Schack
Trusted Contributor

Have you assigned spare drive for each of the LUNs that you will create on the MSA? Is your zoning and SSP set correctly?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

In the MSA the midplane is shared between the controllers. It is very rare that his fails but that is a shared circuit.

Guess you need to make sure your iSCSI initiators are configured to see both paths.
Why not try to turn off one controller, unplug one switch/etc to see if the system stays online? :)
George Mandiliotis
Occasional Advisor

Thank you all for your answers. I 'l test each of my redundant hardware the next few days.
So the Midplane is the only not redundant circuit. Ok and, in case of midlane failure, how can i protect my customer from downtime? As you can see this is a small cluster with only two nodes. Is there any way to connect two MSA together (eg with some kind of "mirroring" functionality)? The goal is, even in midplane failure the data to be available.
Thank you, George
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi!

Midplane failures are very rare.

As far as I can see there is no replication with the MSA2000 - see the quick specs:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12992_div/12992_div.HTML

However, the quick specs mentions SWSM which apparently can be used for continuous replication. Mabye that's something to look into? Couldn't really tell if this was only for hosts or for the MSA as well..

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storage/software/sm/index.html
George Mandiliotis
Occasional Advisor

Thank you all for your relpies, i found what i was looking for in Johan G answers. Thanks alot.