6255 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

I need to replace 2 Brocade switches in a fabric connected via ISL

bernard20001
Occasional Visitor

I need to replace 2 Brocade switches in a fabric connected via ISL

Hi

I currently have 2 Brocade 6510s and 2 IBM B24 switches connected together via ISL E-port to make one fabric.

The 2 IBM B24 is out of support therefore I need to swap them out and replace them with 2 Brocade 6510s.

Do I need any license for the 2 new Brocade 6510s when I connect them to the 2 old Brocade 6510s via ISL link?

Once the ISL link is made on the new Brocades will the zone config be automatically download to them? or do I need to do something else to get the old zone config onto the new switches?

Do you have any process I can use to do the replacement please?

Many thanks in advance 

3 REPLIES 3
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Re: I need to replace 2 Brocade switches in a fabric connected via ISL

Hi

all you need is to give each new Brocade a domain ID that does not exsist in your fabric

if they are new they wil not have zonning configuration.

Once they are connected to the exsisting fabric the zonning will be for all the switches

asuming your zoning is done by WWN ID all you have to do now is move connections from your old switches to the new 

ones.

Regards

Give a KUDO if this helps

bernard20001
Occasional Visitor

Hi  Giladzzz

Thanks.  Can I connect the new Brocade switch to the exsisting fabric before taking the IBM B24 out of the fabric?

This would mean I have 3 switches in Fabric A and 3 switches in Fabric B. Or do I need to take IBM B24 switch out of Fabric A first, and just have 1 HBA path up on IBM B24  in fabric B until the new Brocade 6510 is connected to fabric A?

Also do I need ISL licsnse? or any other licsnse?

Many thanks 

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

you should be able to connect the new switch with out disconnecting the IBM

do a "fabricshow" to see existing status and make sure you give the new switch a domain ID 

that does not exist. the only license you need is fabric license which is default in HPE.

assuming your new switch has no zonning configuration it should work.

do a "swtchshow" to see connection problems.

Regards