New Discussion

Re: ISL trunk and access Gateway

RUET
Regular Advisor

ISL trunk and access Gateway

Hello all

I have few questions regarding access gateway config and ISL trunking

I have a C7000 enclosure with two embedded SAN swicthes.5480

I want to configure the two switches in AG mode and use a trunk of two ISL to connect each embedded switch to a Brocade 48000

I'm not sure of the procedue i used:

1 - I configured the two switches in AG mode

2 - I configured the trunk of 2 ISL on each 48K

My questions:

is there is something specific to do on the embedded switches regarding trunking ?

what is the recommended config on the two embedded switches regarding port grouping, failover/failback policies ?

I'm lookin for informations or some set of commands to run ..

Thanks in advance

Patrick

5 REPLIES 5
Ivan Lyanguzov
Valued Contributor

Patrick,

Configuration guidelines, defaults and recommendations for Access Gateway mode are in Access Gateway Administrator's Guide, see first manual at:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3759005

Ivan.

RUET
Regular Advisor

Ivan

thanks for the information, but ..

I know  this document ..

it helps me a lot , but I'm not sure after reading this book that I have commands to run on the switch that is in AG mode regarding trunk mode

after as it's a brocade document, I'm not sure about the policies that can be setup with this type of balde enclosures ... for failover/failback, performance ..

By example, my first two blades are mapped to the trunck port 17/18 , but I'm not sure that the load balancing is correct ..

So i'm looking for best practcices for that kind of configurations

Thanks

pat

Ivan Lyanguzov
Valued Contributor

Pat,

For B-series switches (Brocade) performance issues are quite rare, so you don't need to configure much. Leave it at defaults — that's a best practice for B-series.

Ivan.

RUET
Regular Advisor

OK most of the standarts settings seems to be correct (faileover/failback/portgrouping)..

Can Dynamic Path Selection be implemented over a trunk ?

It seems that this functionality is really load balancing frames over all the ISL in the trunk ..

I heard that trunk is first loading first ISL, and when busy to 50% go to the second one ..

Ivan Lyanguzov
Valued Contributor

Patrick,

We need some clarifications here. First, there is no ISLs between Access Gateway and switch, as AG is not a switch. Second, Dynamic Path Selection works with different paths, while trunk is considered one path. Third, when you have a trunk, you have load balancing on frame level between physical links, while when we talk about ISL it is most of the time logical level. Yes, trunked links on 4G and 8G switches works as you wrote: when first link in a trunk get filled for more than 70%, other links in trunk start to also transmit frames.

Hope, this clarifies things in some extent...

Ivan.