108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Increasing EVA 4000 disk space

SOLVED
Go to solution
Neil Daniels_1
Occasional Contributor

Increasing EVA 4000 disk space

I have an EVA 4000 with 40 137GB FC drives and 8 500GB Fata drives(maxxed out) . I have a disk group for the Fata drives and a disk group for the FC drives. Can I replace 12 of the 137Gb FC drives drives with 12 450Gb FC drives in the same disk group without affecting the current LUNs? I believe this will increase the space reserved for rebuild(single mode) to 900 GB in the FC disk group.
7 REPLIES 7
sreekanthtm
Trusted Contributor

Re: Increasing EVA 4000 disk space

Hi,

I think its possible.
My suggestion.....
Replace one of the 137GB FC disk with 450GB FC, and add the disk to the disk group. check the Disk group space, whether increased or not. If everything is going fine you can proceed with other disks also. Any way one disk failure won't be an issue in EVA.

Rgds,
Sreekanth.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Yes, you can ungroup 12 * 137 GB and add 12 * 450 GB. The reserved space will go from 2 * 137 to 2 * 450.
Also, the total space available will not be 28 * 137 + (12-2) * 450, the big disks will be distributed in several RSS and will not fill to 100%, so do not expect 4.5 TB more available.
Jason.Pan
Frequent Advisor

Does the current EVA raid groug contain 7+1 disks mode?
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
mixing the different capacities are allowed but it is not inline with the performance best practices
the pain is one part of the reality
sreekanthtm
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

>>>mixing the different capacities are allowed but it is not inline with the performance best practices

mixing the different capacities disk doesn't make any performance impact, if all are in same rpm.
But there would not be effective disk space utilisation, means, the higher capasity disk is not 100% utilised.

Rgds,
Sreekanth
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Mixing disk drive capacities _can_ have a performance impact even if the RPMs are the same.

It depends on the exact configuration, but larger disk drives _can_ contain more data and this _can_ result in more I/Os going to those disks.
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
A disk failure CAN be an issue in an EVA IF you have any Vraid0 disks. Vraid0 is the same as Raid0 for failures.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...