108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Information about snapshot sizes

Van Kerckhove Piet
Occasional Contributor

Information about snapshot sizes

All,

Our EVA8000 has a lot of snapshots.
We would like to receive each day a report on the actual size of the snapshots so we can precent overcommit when the total space on the san is too low.

I know it maybe possible with SSSU but I can't find any examples of this.

Isn't there an easy GUI which can collect, store and present this information?

thanks in advance for a response
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

No GUI. CV-EVA contains the bare minimum to maintain the system. Fancy graphics or reports are $$$...

...except if you are willing to invest some time ($) on your own. I gave some hints how to process SSSU's XML output with Microsoft's LogParser program and generate some easy reports or even graphics:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1247567
Van Kerckhove Piet
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response.

Do you have example of payable tools which can do the job?

regards,
piet
niall oconnor
Advisor

We had a similar requirement but finding out total spare capacity on a particular EVA for before running snaps, not exactly the same requirement as yourself but it might be of benefit? If you know what the typical requirement for a SNAP is (Use Command View GUI and click on the SNAP in question to identify size) and build in some contiguency to can use the below script with a bit of additional DCL to do proactive space checks for you.

Using vms snaps against a eva8,000. In the end we created a dcl script called an sssu script and by using the dcl define sys$output we were able to then interigate the sssu with a dcl search command, see see for the 2 scripts involved, 1st is the DCL, 2nd is the SSSU script.

ty show_space.com

$ SSSU :== $SSSU_VMS_ALPHA
$ DEFINE SYS$OUTPUT EVA_SPACE.LIS
$ SSSU "FILE SHOW_SPACE.SSSU"
$ DEASSIGN SYS$OUTPUT
$ SEAR EVA_SPACE.LIS SPACE
$ DELETE/NOLOG/NOCONF EVA_SPACE.LIS;*
$ EXIT

ty show_space.sssu

select manager YOUR_SERVER_NAME username=YOUR_PASSWORD password=YOUR_PASSWORD
set options nocommand_delay
ls system YOUR_EVA_NAME xml
exit

I hope this helps!
Regards,
Niall.
Van Kerckhove Piet
Occasional Contributor

Isn't there a fancy tool which can do this? Nobody?

or:

Is there really no tutorial for this?

How should querry this for example every nigth?
How should I collect and store these XML?
How should I use the data for grafics so I can mail the growth of snapshots to the end user automaticly?

I think SSSU could be a very powerfull tool, but with this amount of examples, it will not work!

thanks for any help!
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, SSSU could be very useful, but there is no real information about the meaning its XML output available - at least not outside of HP.

Last year I had to track some 'lost' space in a CA environment and it was no fun at all to deal with L2"read the manuals"--me"I've read the manuals-the information is not there!" via the L1 call-center agent.

XML is a great idea - parsing the older ever-changing SSSU "SHOW" output was not fun and I've collected a number of unit-tests during those times. The problem comes when you want to process the data and do not know: is it blocks? bytes? degrees celsius? ...?