Re: Integrate IBM DS 48000 with HP OVSD

SOLVED
Go to solution
shreejesh
Advisor

Integrate IBM DS 48000 with HP OVSD

Hi,

Happy New Year to all !!!

I have IBM DS 48000 and need to integrate it with the HP Open View Service Desk to monitor the events. Can anyone provide me with the procedure to configure the same ?

Thanks,
Shreejesh.
6 REPLIES 6
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
maybe one solution could be to SNMP configure the IBM DS4800 to send the traps to the OVO server via the OVO IBM DS4800 MIB template and then route it to the OVSD...
the pain is one part of the reality
shreejesh
Advisor

Hello Baltay,

Thanks for your reply !!!

I also need to know is there any 'gateway' software to be configured on the IBM storage management server (just like we use EMC integration gateway s/w on the ECC server to configure the EMC Arrays to OVO monitoring).

Regards,
Shreejesh.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

If IBM DS 4800 has the possibility to the SNMP to be set (assuming that 100%), then you can configure it to send traps directly to the OVO servers and then the most important task is creating the IBM DS 4800 OVO template (from its MIB). In this case it seems that you dont need any additional software, you only need to open the firewall from the site on which you have the IBM storages to the OVO server to allow passing the SNMP traps...
the pain is one part of the reality
shreejesh
Advisor

Hello Baltay,

Thanks for your prompt response !!!

I think this should work. Still, to convince the customer, do you have any customer/environment where this is tested and worked ? This would help me to strengthen customer's confidence to go for HP OVSD.

Regards,
Shreejesh
TTr
Honored Contributor

The SNMP interface for the DS4800 is NOT in the array itself, it is in the IBM storage management software (SM). The SM software talks to the DS4800 array via the LAN (out-of-band management) or via the fiber (in-band managemnt) and then it is the SM software that can send out SNMP and email alerts.

You need a dedicated management station, a PC or a small server, to run the SM software. SM is available for most OSes. This will be the DS4800 array monitoring station.

> This would help me to strengthen customer's confidence to go for HP OVSD
What's there to strengthen? If the customer has the OVO monitoring servers already, all you need is point the IBM SM software to OVO.

Now the DS4800 array also talks CLI. If OVO can talk the CLI it can connect directly to the array and not need SM or a dedicated SM station.
Dean_62
Advisor

We are running HPSIM 5.3, have 2 SANs (4300/4400) series, and use IBM Storage Manager.

HPSIM has discovered the SANs

In order to get the alerts to our HPSIM box, would we enable SNMP from the Storage Manager to forward to the HPSIM box?

I'm assuming we need to install the IBM MIBs as well.

Thanks,

Dean