108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Is it possible to ISL SAN switches using Ethernet Switches

SOLVED
Go to solution
Khurram Shahzad
Regular Advisor

Is it possible to ISL SAN switches using Ethernet Switches

Hi we have two data centers each with 4/8 SAN switches installed. Storage and hosts are connected to these SAN switches at each site.

Both sites are connected through Dark fiber, but the dark fiber terminates into Cisco Catalyst 2960g Ethernet switch. Now the question is can we use Catalyst 2960 switch to ISL 4/8 SAN switches installed at Primary and DR using the fiber ports on Cisco 2960 Ethernet switch.

Please find the attached site diagram for details.
13 REPLIES 13
Khurram Shahzad
Regular Advisor

Re: Is it possible to ISL SAN switches using Ethernet Switches

can you see the diagram
sgunelius
Trusted Contributor
Solution

My gut reaction would be no because the fiber terminated at the Catalyst switches is the link for network communications, not SAN traffic. The simplest solution would be to do ISL on the SAN Switches and extend the fabric between your two sites, you should be using dedicated fiber and long-wave tranceivers.

Also, according to the quickspecs for these SAN Switches (see link below) ISL Trunking is a licensed option. You may want to confirm whether you've purchased the license to do this.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12345_na/12345_na.HTML)

You may want to review HP's SAN Design guides, specifically the information related to SAN Extension and Bridging (you may be able to use the Cisco switches):

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&locale=en_US&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=406734
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

You would need IP-FC Gateways or WDM infrastructure to connect your SANs accross dark fibre IP pipes.

Cisco should have modules and solutions .
Hakuna Matata.
Khurram Shahzad
Regular Advisor

Are there any Ethernet Switches that also supports FC traffic???
CLEB
Valued Contributor

Look at the HP StorageWorks 2408 FCoE Converged Network Switch

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13335_div/13335_div.HTML
Khurram Shahzad
Regular Advisor

Thanks to all but one more question, what these FC ports on cisco 2960 Switch are for?
CLEB
Valued Contributor

That's beyond what these forums are for, though you should try the information here..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6406/prod_literature.html

Essentially they are ethernet switchports, just different media.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Yeah..

Please engage a CISCO representative. They will even be willing to take you to lunch and explain your options and enlighten and accept realities on what may or may not be possible for your dual data center SAN Linkage project -- There are just sooo many options these days. Most of it not technical -- but rather HOW deep is your pockets.
Hakuna Matata.
Khurram Shahzad
Regular Advisor

I know this is beyond this forum but i am asking some general queries...Please help

Even i have tried explaining that Ethernet switch doesn't support fc protocol and these are FC-Ethernet ports but my manager response is that I am a lay man. Just answer my question

"In one way or the other the SFP on cisco 2960g ethernet switch is also doing conversion of ethernet data to fc so that it can be transfered via dark fiber" than Why this SFP cant send the SAN switch Data? And if our ethernet switch is coverting ip data to fc and why we need FCIP gateways?

Please help i am confused. :-(