HPE EVA Storage

Issues with perfmon after Command View upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
T Downing
Advisor

Issues with perfmon after Command View upgrade

We have upgraded both our Command View boxes to 8.01 as we are planning on going to XCS 6.2.

After the upgrade perfmon started crashing/hanging. Upon inspection it looks like there were quite a few new MSSQL/WEBES objects added that were not there in CV 7. Not sure if this is the cause but I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

Attached a picture of the new objects for reference.

I have opened a case with HP but no word as of yet.
13 REPLIES 13
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Issues with perfmon after Command View upgrade

WEBES V5.2 installs SQL Server 2005 Express Edition.
T Downing
Advisor

For now I have fixed the issue by making a change in the registry to the the Library object in /HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/MSSQL$WEBESDB/Performance. Not sure if it was just counter over load or what.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I'm also seeing odd behaviour in Perfmon as well as evaperf itself.
We have two EVAs one here and another at our DR site. The latter is really only handling data replication traffic.

If I try either perfmon or evaperf to get the total IOPs or Throughput I just get 0 returned. Via evaperf I also get an error: Failed to get system metrics: ERR:04-E0050 (Unknown) Unknown
I'm in the same process as you - upgraded to CV 8.01 as we're planning on going to XCS 6.2 soon.
Just interested if you're getting data for the HP EVA Storage Array-> Total Host KB/s and Total Host Req/s

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Sound like it is this problem:
c01461161 - ADVISORY HP StorageWorks Command View EVA 7.x/8.x EVAPerf 'as' and 'hps' metrics may report zero values with XCS 6.100/6.110

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01461161

--

I doubt that this fixes it:
c01417546 - HP StorageWorks Command View EVA - Manually Adding or Removing EVA Perfmon Counters

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01417546
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Uwe,
I was sent that advisory by HP after I'd posted the query. I looks quite similar to what we're seeing.
We're planning on going to 6.2 fairly soon so we'll see if that fixes things.
I thought from the above posting it might have been that perfmon / evaperf was a bit flakey but looks like it might just be compatibility issues.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Your thoughts are correct - as far as I can tell, EVAperf has always had (minor) problems and could not deliver all values for all EVAs.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi all,
I would like to bring some additional info into the evaperf documented supported versions combinations:

Intro:
CVE 4.1 includes evaperf 1.0
CVE 5.0x includes evaperf 1.2
CVE 6.0x includes evaperf 6.0
CVE 7.0 includes evaperf 7.0
CVE 8.0 includes evaperf 8.0

AA EVA compatible combinations:
EVA 4.x/6.x/8.x
a) XCS 5.1x - CVE 5.0x, 6.0, 6.01, 6.02
b) XCS 6.0 - CVE 6.0, 6.01, 6.02
c) XCS 6.1 - CVE 6.02, 7.0, 7.01, 8.0, 8.01
d) XCS 6.2 - CVE 8.01
e) XCS 09000/09001 - CVE 8.0, 8.01
f) XCX 09003 - CVE 8.01
the pain is one part of the reality
T Downing
Advisor

I have had issues with evaperf as well. A combination of some arrays data missing from "evaperf hps", the same metric showing some but not all ports of an array as well as it repeating some ports. Been through a few support calls on it and as posted there are known issues with evaperf.

I will post back how things look after going to 6.2
pj1

I had the same issues,and can confirm after upgrading to xcs 6.2 the evaperf works ok.