LAN FREE Backup

Azadeh
Advisor

LAN FREE Backup

Hi
I'm going to run LAN free backup in one company with EVA4100 MDS 9120...
MSL4048 iSCSI 6060 FC
How is it possible ?
MDS 9222i has a datamover module ... for serverless backup ... !! What is the best solution for me ?
Regards
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: LAN FREE Backup

What backup software are you planning on using?

If the servers you need to back up are attached to the SAN... then your backup's can travel through the MDS 9120. You don't really need the 9222i.

It all depends on how complex you want the environment... and how much money you are willing to spend.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Azadeh
Advisor

Thanks
Arcserve is my software

If I want to have a serverless backup, what can I do?
I need a data mover and ATTO fiberbridge is retired right now and I don't know any thing unless 9222i !!!
Thank you very much for your kind attention
:)
Regards
Azadeh
Advisor

Dear Steven

with BC license in EVA we can have snapshot and snapclone ... what's the difference betwwen this kind of backup and the software one ???
Regards
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"with BC license in EVA we can have snapshot and snapclone ... what's the difference betwwen this kind of backup and the software one ???"

Business Copy is not a backup solution. It could be "part" of a backup solution but alone... it is nothing more than the ability to create a new presentable virtual disk that gives you access to the original data allowing you to access such data via other servers, or the same server.

Snapshots store re-written data, and pointers back to unchanged data....

Data Block: ABC
Snap Shot Taken...
Data A is changed...
Original Data A is moved to snapshot space, and pointers back to original data BC remain unchanged.

Snapclones are an exact copy of the original data... on the same disk array. Not really a "backup", but I guess it can be considered as such. Usually a backup is a copy of the original data, stored on different media or device.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

If you only have one EVA - then serverless backup will mean having BusinessCopy (SPlit Mirror) license.

Your MDS DataMover module is primarily used for Data Migrations between arrays -- but with a little bit of innovation -- can be used for regular "serverless" Backups.

From what I understand, the datamover module sits between your EVA and the servers -- so the OS/Server does not really know what kind of storage it is dealng with. DMM I thought was a Brocade or even Fujitsu solution (blade and software?) that was pirmarily used for data migration from one storage array to another... I could be wrong though..

See http://www.cisco.kg/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/5_0/configuration/guides/dmm/cfgGUI.html

Hakuna Matata.