New Discussion юеВ

Linking 2 Brocade 8/24 can't see counterpart switch's ports

SOLVED
Go to solution
Atomizer
Advisor

Linking 2 Brocade 8/24 can't see counterpart switch's ports

Hey,

I have just linked 2 Brocade 8/24 switches together. One is on Domain ID 1 and the other is on Domain ID 2.

The 2 switches see's eachother fine and traffic is flowing when I zone devices on them.

But my problem is that when I'm doing zoning and say SAN SW1 I wan't to be able to pick the ports from SAN SW2 so I can do the zoning only on one switch and it should propergate to the other and vice versa.

I want to see all ports in the fabric under zoning on both switches.

The way it is now I need to login to SW1 make a new zone. That zone will propergate to SW2 but because I can't see the ports from SW2 on SW1 I need to login the SW2 and add the ports to the zone I created on SW1.

I have tried removing all zoning from SW2 and power it off then reboot SW1 and finally power on SW2 again to have it draw the zoning all over again but still no ports from the counterpart switch under zoning.

I know this is possible since I have access to another switch fabric where this is working. I have tried comparing configurations but I can't seem to pinpoint where the difference is.

I actually have 2 fabrics for redundancy and the symptom is the same on both. (Therefore I asume I have misconfigured something or am missing something)

All switches are running 6.2.0b
8 REPLIES 8
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Re: Linking 2 Brocade 8/24 can't see counterpart switch's ports

Do u have Brocade Fabric Manager configured..
Atomizer
Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

I use the web/java interface on the switches to configure them.

I have no additional software installed. Is that required?
Atomizer
Advisor

See the attached screenshot on my first post to get a better understanding of what I want. I'm not that good at explaining it with words :)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

According to the 6.2.0b release notes, "Non-local switch ports display in zoning tree" has been moved to the Data Center Fabric Manager (DCFM).
Atomizer
Advisor

Thank you very much. I have scratched my head a lot wondering why I saw this problem.

Now I can start wondering why they changed the behaivoir :)

Is DCFM a free tool?

Thanks again, you really saved my day. :)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

My guess is that they want to free some space from the switch flash memory. The Web GUI has become more and more capable/complicated over time.

The "Professional" version is free of charge, but can only manage a single fabric with up 1000 Brocade switch ports.
Atomizer
Advisor

Sounds reasonable. I'll make do with the lack of functionality if I can't figure out how to use the utility
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

What do you mean you can't figure out?

Do you have it installed already?