HPE EVA Storage

Linux crash when presented the LUN from HP storageworks MSA2312fc

RohitGo
Occasional Advisor

Linux crash when presented the LUN from HP storageworks MSA2312fc

Hi Team,

We have linux server configured as boot from SAN which was working fine untill we have presented LUN from HP storageworks MSA2312fc.
we have presented 3 LUNs to our Linux server which it detected fine initially and we had created the volumes also in Linux but once we restarted the Linux server we start getting the I\O errors during the boot and Linux never came up after that. We have tried to unpresent the LUN but still Linux box detects the LUN during boot and never comes up. Can anyone suggest what could be the possible cause of this issue? Just wondering if storage or Linux box are picking the LUN info (though i have unpresented the LUNs) from some sort of cache? Or I\O could be beacuse of the load on MSA storage?
Any suggetions will be highly appreciated . Thanks in advance.

Regards
Rohit
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Re: Linux crash when presented the LUN from HP storageworks MSA2312fc

Hi,

Can you post the exact errors please...?

Cheers,

Rob
Bharath_Pingali
Trusted Contributor

Hello Rohit,

Posting the errors would be useful as Rob has indicated.

I would also request the serial console out put of your server.

You can append "console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600" to the boot line and capture the it thru serial cable.

Are you using any multipathing software?

-Thank You
Bharath
RohitGo
Occasional Advisor

Hi ,
Thanks everyone
Error message we get is
Ipfc 0000:13:000 0:1303 Link Upevent x1 received data x1 xf7 x10 x9 x0

Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
sda 0:0:0:2 timing out command waited 180s

We don't have multipath software installed on Linux . Its a a Blade server with virtual connect VC module. Do we have LUN maximum size limit that we can present to Lunx as boot LUN\data LUN?

Regards,
Rohit
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

Have you rebuilt the initrd image after presenting the new LUN(s)? Using "mkinitrd"? If you did, that could be a possible reason for the system to check for those LUNs even after you unpresent them
RohitGo
Occasional Advisor

Hi ,

Not only with the existing Linux but even if we try to install new Linux box with the LUN presented (Boot and data), it takes lot of time ..it starts slowing at ipfc drivers installation and takes hours to procede with the installation procedure. Could it be a problem with firmware of Blade VC module or HP MSA 2000 firmware? any suggestions will be highly appreciated .

Regards,
Rohit