New Discussion юеВ

Re: MA8000 LUN size problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rei Enoveso
Advisor

MA8000 LUN size problem

Hi,

I have a problem with a MA8000 and a 6 disk LUN. The LUN is a RAID with 6x146GB disks. I create the LUN just fine (no errors or anything). When I mount the LUN on a Solaris 8 or 9 box, it only reports the LUN as 546GB instead of 690GB. I have created other LUNs in the same configuration and they all mount as the expected 690GB. On the Storageworks size, the blocks, cylinders, heads, and sectors match that of the other LUNs. I've deleted all the disks and then recreated and initialized the LUN and still the same problem.

I'm at a loss as to where the problem is since the other LUNs I created work just fine and the cylinders/heads/sectors all match with each other. I've mounted the LUN on different systems with the same results.

The MA8000 is running 8.6F-8, Hardware E12, running in transparent mode.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

-Rei
6 REPLIES 6
Craig_83
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi Rei,

Have you tried this?

o Go into format and select the unit.

o From the format prompt, enter 'type'

o For the disk type, enter 0 (Auto configure)

o Check the partition table to see if it is now the correct size.

Craig
Rei Enoveso
Advisor

Excellent!! Thanks!! :-)
Just one more question, do you happen to know how this happened or what caused this?
Craig_83
Frequent Advisor

I have only seen this on EMA units that have previously been configured - never from the EVA. It appears like the label information is still retained. I then started doing the type 0 to force Solaris to acquire the correct geometry.

Craig
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

There is a Customer Advisory (which, of course, I can't find right now) that gives instructions on how to wipe old information from the disks with DILX.

The EVA does not present old data from the disks. It knows which areas of a virtual disk have been written before and if you try to read from other areas it will 'invent' data.
Rei Enoveso
Advisor

It's interesting though that these disks were brand spankin new from the box and had never been configured before as a LUN (unless of course it was done at the factory). Oh well, I'll be sure to remember to use auto config if the correct size is not reported. It takes ~10 hours to reconstruct 680GB LUN. :-O

Thanks for your guys help!
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately 'new' disks (for some reason I never have understood) come with a Windows-style partition on them und MUST be erased for all operating systems except OpenVMS and Tru64 Unix.