1751877 Members
5184 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 1000 Console Cable HP 259992-01

Andrew DeVries
Occasional Advisor

MSA 1000 Console Cable HP 259992-01

I bought a used MSA 1000 Console and went through the procedure to reset the passwords of the Fiber Switches, and am now tring to configure the arrays and Lun using the CLI.  I purchased a new cable, it is labeled HP 259992-01. I fi connect to the console at 19200, 8, none, 1 no flow control. I see the switch post and updates on batery status as they charge etc. I have pressed Enter repeatly but can't get a CLI prompt.  I am suspecting  a bad console cable. I am using hyperterminal and have also tried putty. I know my serial port works and even tried a different computer as serial port with the same result.

Any Suggestions?

Can some one check the pinout on there cable and make sure it matches below?

The pinout of my cable is as follows.

9-pin                rj45Z
2                      2
3                      9
5                      5,6
8                      5,6
9                      5,6

Andy

6 REPLIES 6
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

does the cable have a white square label saying MSA 19200 8-N-1 on it? All the MSA1000 serial cables i've seen have this label.

Yes Cable has MSA 19200 8-n-1 on the db-9pin hood.  Also on the cable at both ends is a white lable with "HP 259992-001 Rev. C 03/2010 10035759 RoHS"

This is a brand new cable I spent $50 bucks on so the first time I have used it so not sure if it is a good cable or not.

I can receive output from the switch when it posts so I know the buad rate it=s correct and there is no flow control so I know its not that. Any chanse you can confirm the pinout on this cable for me.

Andy

Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, the switch?  To set up the Controller that cable goes into the socket on the front of the controller not into the switch at the back of the enclosure. Can you confirm it is connected to the controller please.

Yes, Absolutly in the front of the MSA. I can't get a CLI prompt from either controller. I went as far as cutting down a rj45 and trying other pins to see if my cable was miss wired but couldn't get it to give me a CLI prompt.  Any chanse any of you can confirm your cable has same pin out above so I know for sure I have a good cable and its not something else.  You will need a Mulitmetter with a continuity tester.

Andy

Andrew DeVries
Occasional Advisor

No takers? All you need is a multimetter and 5 minutes to confirm the pinout.  Anyone enlse had controllers that won't give a cli prompt? 

taggart_seattle
Occasional Advisor

This is a really old thread but...

Make sure you have hardware and software flow control turned OFF.

Here's some more notes I wrote up

http://lackof.org/taggart/hacking/msa1000-setup/

http://lackof.org/taggart/hacking/msa1500-firmware/