3817 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 1000 cannot be seen from host

Andy Newson
Occasional Contributor

MSA 1000 cannot be seen from host

Hi there,

we have an MSA1000 in a dual redundant configuration connected to 2 Cisco MDS 9216a switches.

From there I have Windows 2003 server Enterprise R2 hosts with Qlogic 2214 HBAs dual connected through the switches.

Have MPIO full featured DSM installed and have tried both SCSIport and STORport drivers for the HBAs.

The problem is through the HP ACU (v7.50) I can't detect the MSA, only the local smartarray controller.

This is the same on all the hosts connected and all are identical configurations and driver versions etc.

It's bizarre, I feel it's something to do with Win 2k3 R2 and the versions of drivers/MPIO that I'm using but no idea why!

Oh, have also eliminated MPIO by uninstalling and trying to detect MSA, no joy.

Any ideas, I'm stumped!

Thanks a lot,

Andy.
9 REPLIES 9
raadek
Honored Contributor

Maybe a dumb question, but how about the zoning? Is it set properly, i.e. can your HBAs actually 'see' MSA1000 trough the SAN?

Rgds
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

Andy, First Active/Passive MSA FW supports only basic MPIO.

Can you check your HBA driver ver. Verify under the Device Manager. For some reason, windows wants to keep using the default Windows driver.

dewitte64
Advisor

I had a similar issue but it was related to the Selective Storage Presentation - I had set it to only two of the connected HBAs in the MSA1000 and was not allowing it to the new one. After I turned that on it showed up in Windows.
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

Dewitte64,
This is only true if your server isn't seeing any MSA LUNs. Andy's problem is that the MSA isn't showing up in the ACU.

I suspect the that windows is using it's version of qlogic driver. Even though he flashed it with our smart component. He may have to download the qlogic driver from the qlogic website. Update the driver with the qlogic driver, verify Windows excepted it. Then update the driver approved for MSA.

Andy Newson
Occasional Contributor

Sorry for the slow reply guys, decided to take a few days off and enjoy the sun!

The zone is open and is identical to a working EVA3000 attached switch setup I have on a different site.

John - I have tried the Qlogic standalone driver but this hasn't helped unfortunately. I have now installed the Basic MPIO DSM for active/passive, thanks for that.

Still no joy though, I've logged a call with HP but aren't getting much more than a link to the main driver page, helpful!
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

Andy, have you verified the actual driver version installed. Device Manager ->SCSI devices.

Ruslan
Respected Contributor

Do you have HP branded Qlogic FC HBA or not? AFAIK, ACU can't detect MSA if FC HBA other than HP branded (some modification in BIOS)
Andy Newson
Occasional Contributor

John - I have used both the latest versions of the SCSIport HP driver and the STORport HP driver. 9.0.1.13 and 9.0.1.18 respectively.

Rusian - It's an HP branded card, I'll try flashing it the lastest HP bios just in case though, believe it's V 1.45.
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

You said that you have installed 9.0.1.13 and 9.0.1.18. I'm taking your word that windows actually installed those driver version mentioned above.

Can you back under device manager and this time to "system devices" - locate either StorageWorks MSA1000 or anything MSA1000/1500 related.