1753847 Members
8458 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA 1000 configuration and firmware upgrade

Kevin Carter_3
Frequent Advisor

MSA 1000 configuration and firmware upgrade

We have an MSA 1000 connected to 3 DS20e AlphaServers running OpenVMS 8.2, all standalone systems. The MSA 1000 has one switch installed. We purchased a second switch to configure the MSA as active/active. When I installed the second switch drive 8 in the MSA turned red and the hot spare began a rebuild. This leads me to believe that the MSA is configured with a split bus?

Question: Do you agree that the MSA must be configured with a split bus? If not; what is going on? If yes; can the MSA be reconfigured? With or without a field engineer?

I am preparing to upgrade the MSA's firmware. Went to the HP web site and found MSA 1000 active/ active and MSA 1000 active/ passive firmware for OpenVMS 8.2. I want to ensure that I install the correct firmware in the MSA.

Question: can active/ active firmware safely run on an MSA with only one switch? Are there issues in doing so?

Thanks

Kevin
4 REPLIES 4
Kevin Carter_3
Frequent Advisor

Re: MSA 1000 configuration and firmware upgrade

Additional info: did a show version from the CLI> the current firmware version of the MSA is 4.48 build 342
PVD
Advisor

Yes, the MSA1000 is split bus. however adding a another switch to the front shouldnt cause a drive to fail at the backend.

As per release notes, 7.00 (A/A) fw is supported for OVMS 8.2.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=377751&swItem=co-47228-1&prodNameId=305215&swEnvOID=2016&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

you can run A/A firmware and single switch is also ok. however there is shld be an interconnect (I/O module or switch) for the controller 2. Else A/A firmware on the array doesnt make sense.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

AFAIK it isn't supported to run a MSA with one switch and one FC I/O module. You need to run with two embedded switches or two FC I/O modules.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

"The MSA 1000 has one switch installed" can i ask which switches you have ?