HPE EVA Storage

MSA 1000 logical drive expansion

MAH_2
Regular Advisor

MSA 1000 logical drive expansion

Hi I have MSA 1000 with 2 Array.
1st array with 2 logical drives and second array with 8 Logical drives. I tried to extend the 6th logical drive using ACU.
I have selcted the 6th logical drive and selcet the extned TAB. Given the size.
But I can see the activity, the 8 th logical drive is expanding . and 6 th and 7th there is wating for rebuing symobol and it is taking time also. IS thsi correct or why it is taking time.
I have selcted the exapnding priority high .

Pls help'
7 REPLIES 7
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA 1000 logical drive expansion

Hi,

The Extension activity will take a lot of time depend on the Logical Volume size.

2 years back i observed that one Logical volume expansion from 500GB to 700GB takes around 2 days to complete the process.
MAH_2
Regular Advisor

OK. But my qstn is different.
When I start the extending of Logical drive 6 ,

the expasion activity strats from the logical drive 8 , Why this is happend??
Bhavnish Kamboj (BK)
Trusted Contributor

It should be like this but now there is no option available other than wait for this task to complete.

Just FYI.. it takes 15minutes per gigabyte that too when there is no I/O or less.

You may also check the extend priority in the controller settings but recommended is to keep it medium.

Once it gets complete try extending another logical drive and check, but be sure about your data backup prior to start this activity.

Good Luck
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey, I am not sure exactly how the data is stored or how the LUNs are structured.

But one guess is that the logical drives are stored 'sequentially'.

So that you have them like this

- to expand 6
- you need to first move 8 "a little to the right", then move 7 to fill the gap between 7 and 8, and then move 6 to fill the gap between 6 and 7 :)

Just a theory :)
Bhavnish Kamboj (BK)
Trusted Contributor

Just a lil more info,

The LUNs structure is like that they are like a ladder. As all the LUNs in the array are spanned across to all the logical drives. So the free space stays always on the top and last logical drive too.

So it has to start from last logical drive (which is 8 in your case) to reach the one you selected (6).
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Wohoo, so I was right ;)
MAH_2
Regular Advisor

Thx to all .

It happend like that.