1753701 Members
5004 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 1000 with MSL6000 Backup

Edward143
Advisor

MSA 1000 with MSL6000 Backup

I have a MSA 1000 working with firmware v5.12 Active/Passive. I have a Tape library connected to EVA 8000 - Brocade switch. I want to connect my MSA 1000(Active/Passive) to EVA 8000 Borcade switch and configure the direct backup with msl tape library. is it possible ???
6 REPLIES 6
Wickedsunny
Valued Contributor

Yes this is possible, but what do you mean by direct backup. You need to Access the MSA data from a Windows host on which you will need to install a backup software and you can backup.

Please do this if the EVA 8000 Switch is a Fabric Switch. I would not suggest doing this on a LOOP Switch..

Regards,
Sunny
Edward143
Advisor

i want to backup the data on MSA 1000 to MSL Library without utilizing the network. i want to configure the direct backup uisng the data proector...

EVA switch is using the fabric only.

I want to enable the zoning on the eva switches to connect the tape library. EVA is on live now and otehr servers are connected to the storage. IS there any risk involved for enabling the zoning first time in Fabric switch in production setup ???

Edward143
Advisor

any reply
Wickedsunny
Valued Contributor

Yes you can configure this if this is a fabric switch.

You can configure zoning without any issues on the working EVA. You can create a zone with MSA, Host and the Tape library and start the DATA Protector for backup. In case you have not configured zoning on this Switch, I would recommend you to zone the EVA as well. If this has to be done you would not require a downtown, but if you are doing the zoning for the first time then I would suggest a downtime, just in case.

Regards,
Sunny
Edward143
Advisor

Do i need a downtime for enabling the zoning in the switches in a production environment ???
Wickedsunny
Valued Contributor

You do not need downtime if you are well versed with Zoning.

Regards,
Sunny