New Discussion

Re: MSA 1000fc & Brocade 300

SOLVED
Go to solution
MSAlexander
Advisor

MSA 1000fc & Brocade 300

Hi!

We have a little outdated MSA 1000 with embedded two MSA SAN Switch 2/8, two newly purchased Brocade 300 switches and Server with ACU. We've connected these items in a way shown below:

MSA1000 with embedded two MSA SAN Switches each connected to corresponding Brocade Switches, Server with ACU also connected to the Brocade switches. We've managed to build a fabric. But using this configuration we can't manage msa 1000 with ACU coz  ACU can't discover msa1000 controller through fabric.

May be we must use other software? Or we've made a mistake in connection scheme?

Thank you!

19 REPLIES 19
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi!

You're saying you can't manage the ACU, from where? From a server in the new B300 or the old MSA 2/8?

I suppose you have two fabrics?
Zoning?
Can any servers see the disks?
MSAlexander
Advisor

Well, sorry for my English. Try to explain once again:

Server with installed ACU connected to the B300; MSA 2/8 connected to the B300 too.

| Server with ACU | -------> | B300 | <------- (MSA 2/8  + MSA Controller & Disks)

ACU can't find MSA controller, so I can't manage and see any disks.

We are using default zoning on B300 - every port can access each other. So MSA 2/8 inherits this zoning.

You are right. We have two fabrics. We are trying to build fault-tolerant connection scheme.

hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

In this case, both switches has to be put to same fabric, so that your server can see the MSA through the new switch.

If you are planning for redundancy with the new switches, then server & MSA  needs to have connection to both switches independently and those switches can be in different fabric.

Supportshow from the switches can tell, whats the actual status of fabric now.

Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

I hope the B300 and MSA 2/8 in the MSAlexander's post are in the same fabric. If not, then they need to be.

Switchshow or fabricshow would be good to have a peak at.

'defzone --show' tells you which default zoning is running on the switches. But if that's different the switches won't merge into a fabric anyway.
MSAlexander
Advisor

Friends, that is our full connection scheme:

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||HBA1 | <--------->| B300_1| <------------> |MSA 2/8 _1, Controller_1||||||||||||||||||||||

| Server with ACU  ||||||||||||||||||                                                          ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| && Disks   |

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||HBA2 |< --------->| B300_2|<-------------> |MSA 2/8 _ 2, Controller_2|||||||||||||||||||||

B300_1 & B300_2 assign to Domain 1

MSA 2/8_1 & MSA 2/8_2 assign to Domain 2

As a result B300_1 & MSA 2/8 _1 merged into a fabric, and B300_2 & MSA 2/8_2 also merged into another fabric. I've checked it using 'fabricshow' command.

Using command 'switchshow' I verified that all four switches have the same effective zoning scheme (default).

And I still can't manage MSA controllers using ACU.

Well, if | had configured all correctly, ACU would have discovered MSA?

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Domain 1 and 2?

Each switch should have a unique domain id.

I guess it's a translation error though as they wouldn't have merged without this.

If everything was configured correctly then yes, you should be able to discover the MSA through ACU.

Can any server see anything from the MSA1000?

MSAlexander
Advisor

I guess that every switch should have a unique domain id inside standalone fabric.

But we have two independent fabrics, so we could use the same domain id inside different fabric... am I right?

As a rule we use telnet in order to manage switches, but just recently we've tried web tools. Through web tools we've revealed that one of the MSA 2/8 switches participate in the fabric and at the same time it is designated as segmented switch....

What may cause such a problem?

Thanks!

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Ah, there we go.

Would you be able to post the 'fabricshow' the way it is now in that fabric?

It would be interesting to see how it looks now and after we fix the segmentation problem.

Lots of things can cause fabric segmentation.

FOS firmware, TOV, zoning, default zoning, speed on link, etc.

You should see the reason for it by hitting 'switchshow' in both switches in that fabric.

You'll see the (first) reason on the E_port ISL.

Sometimes everything is correct but you need to portdisable; portenable on the ISL.

And yes, they can have the same DID if they are in different fabrics.

Usually though people set a DID and call the switch the same.

Like SW101 for Switch with domain id 101.

And for the switch in the other fabric - 201. Makes it a little easier sometimes.

MSAlexander
Advisor

fabricshow

Brocade_1:admin> fabricshow

Switch ID     Worldwide Name     Enet IP Addr         FC IP Addr    Name

1: fffc01      10:00:00:.............:36    192.168.200.1     0.0.0.0        >"Brocade_1"

2: fffc02      10:00:00:.............:a6    192.168.200.21   0.0.0.0          "switch1"

The fabric has 2 switches

switchshow

switch1: admin> switchshow

switchName: switch1

switchType: 18.2

switchState: Online

switchMode: Native

switchRole: Subordinate

switchDomain: 2

switchId: fffc02

switchWwn: 10:...............:a6

switchBeacon: OFF

Zoning: ON(cfg)

port 0: cu N1 Online        Loopback->0

port 1: id N2 Online         E-port 10:...........................:36 "Brocade_1" (upstream)

port 2: id N2 No_Light

Brocade_1: admin> switchshow

switchName: Brocade_1

switchType: 71.2

switchState: Online

switchMode: Native

switchRole: Principal

switchDomain: 1

switchId: fffc01

switchWwn: 10:...............:36

Zoning: ON(cfg)

switchBeacon: OFF

Index Port Address Media Speed State           Proto

------------------------------------------------------------------------

0       0   011700      id        N2     Online        FC F-Port 10:.........   ///(server with ACU)

1       1   011500      id        N8    No_Light    FC

2       2   011300      id        N8    No_Light    FC

3       3   011100      id        N8     No_Light   FC

6       6   011200      id        N2     Online        FC E-Port 10:.........:a6 "switch1" (downstream)

At the first glance it looks normal, i suppose...

I also disabled and enabled ISL ports on both switches (port 1 on switch1 and port 6 on Brocade_1)... And still switch1 (if i connect through web tools) in the fabric and in the segmented group too.

Brocade 300 Firmware ver. 6.3.1a

MSA SAN Switch 2/8 Firmware ver. v3.2.1c

What is TOV, please?