1748216 Members
4129 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 2000sa G2 delete metadata

Jeff Hodge
Occasional Advisor

MSA 2000sa G2 delete metadata

Is there a way to force clear metadata on a disk in an MSA 2000sa G2 even though the disk is not marked "Leftover"?

Thanks,
Jeff
7 REPLIES 7
Bhavnish Kamboj (BK)
Trusted Contributor

Yes, you can clear the metadata for leftover and the drives which are as "Available".

To clear metadata from drives:

1. Select Manage > Utilities > Disk Drive Utilities > Clear Metadata
2. Select the drives whose metadata you want to clear.
3. Click Clear Metadata For Selected Disk Drives.

BK

Pls assign points if it helps you :)
Jeff Hodge
Occasional Advisor

Thanks. This is actually a G2. I do not have a "manage" menu. I use the SMU. I can use the CLI as well, but I have not found a way to force meta data to be cleared on "Available" drives there either.
Bhavnish Kamboj (BK)
Trusted Contributor

Ohh I missed that.

Well don't you see "Available" disks in Tools > Clear Disk Metadata

Or just left over disks comes there?

According to the manual you should get "Available" disks also there. As Manual says "Before you can use the disk in a new vdisk or as a spare, you must clear the disk's metadata"

Sorry, can't check practically as don't have G2 here...

BK
Jeff Hodge
Occasional Advisor

That's what I thought too. None of my "Available" disks show up under the clear metadata tab. I even rearranged all the disks in the MSA (so every disk was in a different slot than where is was previously) and it did not even turn the disks into leftover disks. I guess the metadata on the disk does not care about its chassis location.
Bhavnish Kamboj (BK)
Trusted Contributor

I believe the disks supports roaming profile, so doesn't matter for slots.

Well what exactly is the reason you want to clear the metadata of the disks?

Were these disks part of any vdisk earlier or just brand new disks.

Because according to my understanding it only gives you option to select those disks on which it see any metadata. If these are new then I believe it will not.

BK
Jeff Hodge
Occasional Advisor

They are not new disks. They have to have metadata on them in order for the raid to come up without issue (which it does). I guess it might not be possible. My goal was to make the disks seem "new" to the MSA in order to time the build time for a vdisk and volume from scratch. I need to build a vdisk and volume from scratch at a customer site and do not know if they will take longer or shorter to build when the disks are brand new. I assume there is no difference, but maintenance timing is critical at this site, so it would be good to know. I guess I can do the online build and hope that the performance hit is not severe.
Bhavnish Kamboj (BK)
Trusted Contributor

Jeff,

It could be the case that controller didn't find any metadata on the disks that is why you don't see option to clear metadata on these ones.

So you may go ahead and build the raid on it, it doesn't matter whether it is a new or used disk. It will take same time.

Online build is slow as it allows you to perform I/O also at the same time, but it gives priority to I/O and in idle time it do online verification.