3903 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 2012 SAN Power Failure - Orange Lights

Jeff Gawthorpe
Occasional Advisor

MSA 2012 SAN Power Failure - Orange Lights

Hi,
Hi I'm in need of urgent help. We have an MSA 2012 fc SAN with dual controllers and three drive enclosures. There was a RAID 5 array configured that spanned the three shelves. we have lost power to the enclosures and controllers tonight and the all the drives on middle shelf are lit up in amber. The array controller web interface shows the vdisk with a red cross through it and says that event logger says that the Vdisk drive is down. Does this mean that we have lost the virtual disk and all data on it? Or is there a way of rebuilding the array and saving the data? How can a power outage cause the vdisk to fail?

Thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8
Frank Amore

Jeff- I am curious as to what happend with this? I have a client that is having some issues with an MSA 2012FC as well. Both power supplies failing at the same time and bringing the controller down.
Bob Niessink

Hi,
I have a similar problem as Frank describes. One powersupply fails and taking the redundant powersupply donw as well. Looks like a sync issues between the power supplies. Does anyone recognize this behaviour and know a solution. I talked to HP tech support, but they can't help me so far. Thanks in advance.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

log a call at HP for further assistence. Reboot the controllers, maybe it will detect all drives and bring the Vdisks back online. Don't dequarantine the Vdisks without all disks are online.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Frank Amore

I should have mentioned this earlier, but the client did re-set the power supplies and the unit comes up for a short period, but ultimatelty the power supplies fail and need to be replaced by HP. They do have 6hr call to repair on the system, but it is still not acceptable.
They have 2 of this 2312FC units and each have the failover. He also has them set to failover to eachother should something happen.

This issue happened on both systems that the customer has within a 2 week span.
Bob Niessink

Hello Frank,
Same behaviour as we experience with the power supplies. The power supply is not completely dead, but the MSA fails during boot process. Did you contact HP about this issue?
Frank Amore

Yes. The client did call HP, but the tech came out and simply replaced both power supplies. Now after 2 weeks a total of 4 power supplies have been swapped, but no real insight into what is causing this.
Doug Ioli

See if you can get HP to replace the chassis. These MSAs are relabeled Dot Hill boxes and I had problems similar to this with an old Dot Hill product called Rio. Because of the design, the back plan could rub against grounded chassis and intermittently short dc power to ground. This would blow out fuses in the power supplies and wreak havoc on the arrays. Maybe they haven't fix the problem?
krouna
Occasional Visitor

Hi Jeff,
This issue was detected on Many MSA2000 G1 and also G2
There is new Firmware released to fix this issue
Version J200P46 version fix this issue
But you should contact HP to replace the failed Power supply with Led amber.

Link FW J200p46
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3687115&prodNameId=3687119&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-1b1be44a2bc740a88d262f70fe

Please see the release note :
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/pubsw-linux/p487091724/v58893/537811-003_msa2000_fw.htm