5756 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 2212FC - Not Automatically Rebuilding RAID

Tarek Majdalani
Occasional Advisor

MSA 2212FC - Not Automatically Rebuilding RAID

Hi,

We have purchased MSA 2212FC and configured vdisk and volumes. It has 6 disks, each with 1 TB in size.

We have configure RAID 5 for 5 disks and set 1 disk as spare.

Now when a disk is removed from the MSA 2212FC, the RAID is rebuilt and the spare disk becomes active, however, when we reinsert the previously removed disk into MSA 2212fc, the disk led stays orange, and the raid is not rebuilt at all automatically ?!

Previously we had MSA 500, and the raid was rebuilt automatically whenever the disk is removed and reinserted again.

How can this be established with MSA 2212fc ?
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The (MSA500/1000/1500/1510) and the MSA2000 have a completely different company background (Compaq vs. Dot Hill).

If you check on the MSA2000 you should see that the previous data disk is now marked as a "Leftover". That is because the MSA2000 has detected meta data on the disk and wants to 'protect' it. You explicitly have to clear the "Leftover" state before you can reuse the disk.
Tarek Majdalani
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

So there is no way to automatically rebuild the raid when the new disk is inserted ?!

Do you mean i have to select "Clean Metadata" ? and then i will be able to set this disk as spare again ?

How about if i dont have a spare, i will have to clean metadata and then what ? how can i join this drive again to the vdisk ?

TLC06
Advisor

Clear metadata is only appliable to a disk which previously part of a disk group. In your case, the disk that you removed and later inserted.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If a new disk is put in place of failed disk. it will be show as available.

Then you need to add it as a spare to the vdisk group. It will kick the rebuilding.

If you put the old disk in place of a failed disk. Then it will be in leftover state.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Tarek Majdalani
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for everyone's reply.

This really helped.

One issue, is it normal for the build of the array ( 5 SAS disks ) to take a complete day ???