7434 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA VDS Hardware Provider for Windows Server 2008 x64

BillyClark
Advisor

MSA VDS Hardware Provider for Windows Server 2008 x64

Hi,

I am looking for a VDS HWP for Windows Server 2008 x64.

I did manage to get the Server 2003 x 64 bit versions working by installing on Server 2008 in Server 2003 compatibility mode but this has obvious issues and limitations.

For example if you create a 72GB LUN in Storage Manager for SANS it creates a new array with the minimum number of disks required to house the LUN thereby wasting the remaining space on the disks. There is no option to change the RAID level and RAID 6 (ADG) is chosen by default. You cannot configure spares for the array and Storage Manager for SANS flatly refuses to create LUNS on an existing array created through the HP ACU. It does however recognise LUNS created in an existing array.

This version is available here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=499900&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeries
Id=499896тМй=en&cc=us

Microsoft have made great leaps forward in SAN management with Server 2008 and many roles have deep integration with their VDS, SAN and cluster features.

For example there is a suggestion that their System Centre Virtual Machine Manager 2008 will be able to create and spin-up LUNS if the storage is entirely manageable through Storage Manager for SANS.

This would be an extremely useful feature as their Hyper-V virtualisation platform requires that each and every virtual machine has it├в s own LUN to allow the virtual machine to be made highly available by the cluster service by LUN transfer to another virtual machine host.

I hope this helps us get the Server 2008 VDS HWP.

Regards

Billy
5 REPLIES 5
Christopher Guest

Hi Billy,
I've also installed the drivers in compatibility mode. Did you ever get a response with an ETA for the full blown W2K8 drivers?

Chris.
BillyClark
Advisor

Hi Chris,

No i have not had any success.

I do know they are working on them - there is one available for the sa and fc versions of the MSA2012 available at:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=499896&prodNameId=3758284&mode=1&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-14914a72472442cb97ef50140c

I was originally looking for VDS for an MSA1500cs but have now given up hoping as the MSA1500 is no longer available.

We also have an MSA 2012i (iSCSI version) but the VDS at the link above is not suitable and the iSCSI version is not given.

Good luck - let me know if you get anything.

Billy
FPThree

Hmm, that's too bad. We have a hardware solution which meets this criteria and would like to utilize the Windows Server 2008 x64 technology. If we should find something that resolves this issue, I'll post back the solution. I'll be monitoring this thread, I see the latest post was Sept. 17th 08 I would have hoped something would have been released by now. *shrugs* Thanks.
BillyClark
Advisor

Hi,

The VSS/VDS Providers and CAPI Proxy for server 2008 x64 are available - simply go to HP.COM and search for drivers for MSA 2000, choose Server 2008.

What is not available is firmware for the storage arrays that allows Server 2008 to talk to iSCSI properly.

I have long running cases with both Microsoft and HP that are still open and active.

HP claim no support for Server 2008 yet for the MSA2000 series but have released the VSS/VDS Providers so someone somewhere at HP at least knows the operating system exists.

I have been given no information on when to expect a solution but hopefully the nagging they are getting from me on a daily basis may mean I get an early notification when support is available.

Thanks for your interest.

Any information you find would be helpful.

Thanks
Alan Matthews_1

Why is W2K8 taking sooo looong on all of these driver issues ?