6469 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA don't detect disk on both controllers

A.Brandt
Occasional Contributor

MSA don't detect disk on both controllers

Hi forum,

we have a msa2000fc running with 48disk. Some days ago, one of that disk reported an failure and got kick out of the raid set.
We defined 3 Spares, so everything was fine - msa used one of that spares and starts the rebuild. So far, so good.

After I replaced the failed disk, the management interface reported "sp-b" as status - so only controller b has noticed the new disk. So I used a another disk, from another server - but nothing changed... still sp-b as status...

Can someone give me some tips, why one controller b detects the new disk? Both disk where dual port sas disks :(

Regards,
Andre
3 REPLIES 3
A.Brandt
Occasional Contributor

Re: MSA don't detect disk on both controllers

Nobody?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Hm, no idea as you have already replaced the disk.

c01712340 - HP StorageWorks 2000fc/2000i/2000sa Modular Smart Arrays - Dual Ported Hard Drive Shows Only a Single Port Active

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01712340
Michael Blouin
Occasional Visitor

I know this is an old post , hopefully this will help someone that is searching for the solution. Our issue was resolved by replacing the IO module in the affected MSA enclosure.  We saw SP -B which means the disk is seen only by enclosure IO module B . We replaced IO module A in the enclosure and the problem was solved.  Prior troubleshooting steps included powering down the enclosure , reseating cables and controllers , updating firmware , all to no avail . Ours was a hardware problem. Good luck with your issue.