HPE EVA Storage
1753460 Members
4860 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 - Active / passive per LUN on the controllers.

Mahipat

MSA1000 - Active / passive per LUN on the controllers.

Hi,
I want to know how to configure HPMSA 1000 as Active/Passive per lun on the controller.Also suggest me which software that i should use so that i have a active and inactive path for the same lun. I have HPMSA with firmware version 4.48. I am new to to disk usage and i want to know how to configure the array to use as active/passive per lun on the controller.
I also want to know whether HPMSA 1000 is Active/Passive by default or we need to modify?
Also want to know when it says HPMSA 1000 is Active/passive then is it
a.HPMSA is active/passive per controller ? b)HPMSA is active passive per lun on the controller?

If any configuration steps to be carried out on disk array please send me steps in detail.
2 REPLIES 2
Amol Garge
Trusted Contributor

Hey,

In MSA1000, the firmware decides if the array is Active/passive or Active/active.

The Active passive array means that all the LUNs will be serviced by a single active controller, the second controller remains passive and does not bother to do anything.
Once the Active controller fails, the passive controller wakes up and takes charge of the LUNs.

Active/Active firmware however, lets you decide the LUNs you want to present from the specific controller (if you leave it as implicit the controller will decide)

Now in your case:
4.48 firmware is already Active Passive.
You can use either Secure path or MPIO Basic failover DSM(does not have a GUI) which will manage multiple paths from a single LUN.

Well, that's all the MSA gyan for you... have fun!
blackhawk_1
Advisor

To add to above information, upgrade to active/passive v5.30