New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 CLI command

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shehan
Super Advisor

MSA1000 CLI command

Hi Team

MY AlphaES45 two nodes cluster is being connected to MSA1000 storage. As one of my HBA card of one server is having a issue, I am going to replace it. The problem is if I replace the card, I will have to change the PWWN number is being set in the MSA1000 as well.As I have never used CLI mode in MSA1000, I want to know how to modify the current PWWN number to new card's PWWN number.

Regards
Nirukshitha
12 REPLIES 12
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
first you could use the
show connection to see your connection current parameters
and then
add connection to modify the PWWN:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01183955/c01183955.pdf
the pain is one part of the reality
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Check page 8 of the document...
Shehan
Super Advisor

Hi

I went through the document. According to my understanding, in order to change PWWN number, we need to use below command
"set connection [wwpn=xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx] [profile=profile_name]"

If we user "add connection", it is creating new connection.This is used for newly adding HBAs.But I want to replace a HBA card. So I want to use "set connection". Am I correct ?

Regards
Nirukshitha

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It's been some time that I played with it, but:

A new adapter usually causes the creation of a new connection. In that case you delete the old connection and then 'overwrite' the data of the new connection with 'ADD CONNECTION', because you cannot rename an automatically created connection name from the CLI.

If you are using explicit LUN masking (called "SSP - Selective Storage Presentation") you also need to modify it, too.
Check with "SHOW ACL".

Please make sure that the connection is set up with the correct operating system profile. In the past I have seen at least one OS/firmware combination that caused the data access to fail due to an incorrect selection.
Shehan
Super Advisor

Dear UWE

You mean when we replace a new HBA card, it will be automatically creating connection. Isn't it? If so, why do we need to delete the connection and recreate new one using new PWWN number?

If we need to delete existing connection,please let me know command to delete a old connection.

Regards
Nirukshitha

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yes, the new adapter comes with a new WWN and the MSA will create a new connection.

Think about it: the MSA does not know if this is a replacement or a new adapter in a new server.

Use "DELETE CONNECTION name" to get rid of the old one.
Shehan
Super Advisor

Hi UWE

That means if we do not delete old connection,but it should work with creating new connection automatically. Isn't it?

Regards
Nirukshitha
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

No, sorry, that will not work properly if SSP is in use. It is not sufficient to replace the adapter and be satisfied if you can still see the data. You really need to make sure all paths through both adapters in a server are working.

And if it 'works', you really should remove the old connection (to keep the system clean) and make sure that
- the new connection has a meaningful name
and
- very important: the correct OS type

Forgive me for insisting...
I've been told about a customer whose mission-critical SAP system crashed due to a wrong setting !!

Yes, it is a bit more work now, but I've found out that such things really pay in the long run.
Shehan
Super Advisor

Hi

Sorry for disturbing you. I want to carify one thing from you.

If we need to change OS type, Can we use set connection to modify it.

Regards
Nirukshitha