HPE EVA Storage

MSA1000 + DL360 G5 issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Garth Horsburgh
Occasional Advisor

MSA1000 + DL360 G5 issue

Hello,

I am in a bit of a pickle, Ive been asked to build up an ESXi HA cluster out of some old hardware, bunch of g5 dl360's with dual FC1142SR HBA's and an old MSA1000 (dual controllers)

Firstly I tried to boot one of the servers with smartstart(latest version) but the ACU doesnt pickup the msa, i quickly installed 2k8r2 onto the servers local disks and installed PSP, and still cant see the msa in the ACU.

I console into the MSA and show connections, reveals no connections at all, I updated the firmware to v7 which was the latest i could find for it, no luck there. Updated the firmware on the msa san switch 2/8 to the latest and reset the config to factory default, still no connections detected.

Have tried swapping the msa controllers around, swapped the san switches around, tried just a single controller, tried multiple servers/hba's and fiber cables.

Opening insight manager on the server, and under external storage the HBA's dont detect anything connected.

Can anyone suggest anything else to try?
4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA1000 + DL360 G5 issue

Heya!

Do you have any other SAN-switches in the fabric besides the integrated SAN-switches?

Do you see anything in the errdump/switchshow on them?

Any errors in the OCP-display on the front of the MSA1000?

What about the config on the MSA1000 - maybe it's possible to reset that via the CLI?

How about updating firmware/driver on the HBA?

See the user guide here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=377751

acu override?
show acl - any configured?

The command from the console that HP asks for is show tech_support
ColinF
Advisor
Solution

Make sure you use 7.20 firmware on the MSA if you are running VMware, if you search around you will find issues with other active/active firmwares and VMware.

If you can't see the array have a look at the zoning in the switch(es), do the switches show the FC ports being up?
Garth Horsburgh
Occasional Advisor

Ok so the switches were zoned, it appears that factory resetting them doesnt nuke the zoning or even the passwords.

I finally found the zone administration, stupid little button. wiped the zoning and picked up the msa straight away,

cheers
Garth Horsburgh
Occasional Advisor

see last reply