1751894 Members
5339 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 Reconfiguration

Mark E. Levy
Advisor

MSA1000 Reconfiguration

I have a dual-controller MSA1000 with one attached dual-bus MSA30. To increase storage, I would like to replace the single dual-bus MSA30 with two single-bus MSA30s. How can I do this without disrupting the existing arrays? Electrically, it would seem that I could place the drives into the first 7 slots of each of the single-bus MSA30s, but the controllers seem to know which box the drives are in.

TIA
5 REPLIES 5
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

The dual bus MSA30 uses SCSI ID 0-1-2-3-4-5-8 on both ports, MSA30 single bus uses 0-1-2-3-4-5-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15, so putting the existing disks on the first 7 bays, they will be seen as Port X Bay Y like before.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

must admit , not tried doing this one - but as long as you've taken a backup to start with and the drives are presented in the current order they are in, sounds like it should be ok. some of the steps and messages for migrations in the service guide should be useful here :-

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00800928/c00800928.pdf

hth

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The MSA1000 controller supports "drive roaming". It is possible to power off the MSA1000 (too bad that there is no proper shutdown option, isn't it?), move the disk drives and then power up the system. The controller(s) will notify the new drive positions and update the meta-data.

I've only found one problem when I did it: if a disk drive is not seated properly it is tagged as a failed disk.

Luckily I was able to fix this problem at that time: the original slot was free so I was able to move the disk back, let the MSA rebuild and do another power-off / move / power-on cycle.
Mark E. Levy
Advisor

Thanks, all. It seems that it should be pretty easy to do migrate the shelves. I have another question: In this unit, I have four arrays:

1. RAID-1 with 2 36G disks
2. RAID-5 with 6 146G disks
3. RAID-6 with 6 72G disks
4. RAID-6 with 13 146G disks

I also have one hot-spare 146G disk. I have added the spare to every array except #2, the option for "Spare Management" doesn't even show up under ACU for this array. I can't seem to find anything online about this.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Maybe a bug in the ACU.
I would make a second check with the CLI interface.