7763 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA1000 storage not member of a VG after move to active-active

Mike Whorley
Occasional Advisor

MSA1000 storage not member of a VG after move to active-active

Hi

I have an Itanium blade (HP-UX 11.31) that has been using a single fibre channel / path connection to some MSA1000 storage. Y/day our storage guys upgraded the MSA1000 to become Active / Active thus supporting both HBA's. On bringing the server back on-line the MSA storage is still visible to the Blade at a H/W address level but the volume group information seems to have been lost from the storage and it now just appears as 'unused' storage instead of been a volume group member as it was before.

Is there anything specific I need to do on the server to let it know this storage is now running active / active ? ....even reverting back to single channel hasn't resolved the issue.

Naturally the data will still be on the MSA but i need to recover the Volume group label information etc to allow me to access it again.

Here's how the storage currently appears :-

64000/0xfa00/0x8 /dev/disk/disk5 unused - 1 176.27 HP MSA VOLUME

Any advice greatly appreciated here.

Mike.
1 REPLY 1
Mike Whorley
Occasional Advisor

Re: MSA1000 storage not member of a VG after move to active-active

Since the change it appears we are now going through a fibre switch which has changed some of the path details. This would explain why the volume group isn't seeing the disk on the expected hardware path :-

Before

Persistent Device File /dev/disk/disk5
Legacy Device File(s) /dev/dsk/c2t0d6;
Legacy H/W Path(s) 0/3/0/0/0/0.1.0.0.0.0.6

Now

Persistent Device File /dev/disk/disk5
Legacy Device File(s) /dev/dsk/c8t0d6;
Legacy H/W Path(s) 0/3/0/0/0/0.100.0.0.0.0.6 (note the 100)

Can we tell the volume group to look for it's member disk at the new location ?