1751765 Members
5102 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA1000 unit extension

Gianfranco Rosa

MSA1000 unit extension

Hi,

I've an MSA1000 with 3 array created, on one of these array, I've a unit, and some free space.
I need to extend the existent unit, and create a new one on this free space, I have 2 questions:

1) Is the extend command performed immediately ? I mean: after the cli command: "extend unit....bla bla" can I see the new added space to the OS level (I know how to use diskpart to expand the disk in windows)? Or I need to wait the extend process end ?

2) If the extend process run in background, I need to wait it has finished, or I can create immediately a new unit on available space in the array ?

Thamk you very much

GF
1 REPLY 1
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA1000 unit extension

GF,
Yes, you will have to wait. We have to make the space contigous for each LUN. There are many variables that can play on the extention time.
1). The number of LUNs in an array.
2). Where the intended LUN for extension falls in that array.
3). Expand priority, should be set high.

Example, If you create a single Disk Array, create 8 LUNs from that array. You decide to extend the first LUN in the Array. We will have to shift all LUNs in the array. To make the space contigous. If it was the last LUN, then its a matter of moving a pointer, calculate parity for the new space.

Regards,
jk