4551 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 w/ Server 2008 R2 Failover Clustering

Carl Shriver
Occasional Advisor

MSA1000 w/ Server 2008 R2 Failover Clustering

Hey all,

We have an MSA1000 SAN and are trying to configure two DL360 G5 servers to use Hyper-V with Failover Clustering.

We spent most of the day yesterday looking for a flash utility to get the firmware of the SAN upgraded from 2.38 to 7.10 and have noticed a big increase in performance.

Unfortunately, the clustering did not perform as we expected and we're trying to re-evaluate where we are at. It is my understanding that we need to install an HP VDS Hardware Provider to get the failover clustering to operate properly, but I've so far been unable to locate where to download this.

Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

I beleive that the proper sequence is to install the HBA drivers and firmware first, THEN install the VBS Hardware Provider. Can you also confirm that?

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
gabbar
Trusted Contributor

Carl Shriver
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, Gabbar. I followed the link and was disapointed that there weren't any Server 2008-specific hardware providers. I saw some for the EVAs and XPs, but not the MSA's. Any idea if there will be some released?

How about using the 2003 64bit Hardware Provider on a 2008 64bit server? Anyone had luck with this?
gabbar
Trusted Contributor

i dont think it has still be released... you can try to ring HP Support and ask for possible release date...

btw.. why dont you manage the array thru ACU?
VDS is going to give you functionality to manage the MSA from MS SAN mgmt MMC and I dont think it is compulsory in your case to present the LUNs to the servers only through MS SAN mgmt MMC Plugin. Please read the following article which mentions this clearly

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732181(WS.10).aspx

If you still want to install VDS you can try to install in compatibility mode.. looks like somebody has tried this but with some problem

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1232157
Carl Shriver
Occasional Advisor

I think you're right, actually. When I originally started this, I read the documentation to say that the VDS was required to allow clustering to function properly. But now that I re-read it I see that the VDS is optional and that the ACU will work fine.

Thank you for your help with this!