1753774 Members
7317 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA1500 with MSA20's

Gregory Pagan
Occasional Advisor

MSA1500 with MSA20's

I have a MSA1500 switch with 4 MSA20 cabinets attached each filled with 500 GB drives. I need to add some near line storage to my current EVA8000 storage to allow backup to disk to increase my backup capacity. Is there anyway to use command view EVA to see the MSA1500 controller so I can present the storage to my OpenVMS environment?
Why does this always happen to me?
4 REPLIES 4
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA1500 with MSA20's

EVA8000 is gentioned through Command View EVA
MSA1500 is gestioned through ACU, or serial port on controller

You cannot connect MSA20 enclosures to EVA in anyway
Gregory Pagan
Occasional Advisor

Thnaks so much for your reply. My guts told me that was the answer but...

Can I approach it in this way?

Before, when it was a Windows only fabric, I simply used the ACU to configure an array and present it to a server. If I add an OpenVMS server (8.3) to the fabric will ACU be able to see it and therefore allow me to configure drives for it?

Greg
Why does this always happen to me?
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

The MSA defaults to present the LUNs to all the servers connected to it.
To regulate the access, you can activate SSP on ACU. Then you'll have a table with the HBA WWNs on rows and LUN numbers on columns, and you chose what LUNs you let each HBA see.

It does not matter what OS is on the server.

The EVAs works in a different way, you must define the host and it's OS on Command View, and present it some LUNs, or else it will not see anything.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> It does not matter what OS is on the server.

I respectfully disagree. The "connection" object on an MSA1000/1500cs has a 'profile' attribute which describes the operating system. I had a case where the OS (OpenVMS) could not mount any disks, because the wrong profile was assigned.

I've also read that in later MSA firmware versions the "Default" profile is no longer appropriate for Windows so it must be changed, too.