HPE EVA Storage

MSA1500cs - Initial Setup - Stuck Please Help!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Justin Vashisht
Advisor

MSA1500cs - Initial Setup - Stuck Please Help!

Hi all,

I'm hoping you guys can help me with this easy question.

I acquired an MSA1500CS shelf (& MSA30) with Fiber module's but I have two 1510i controllers connected. I have it connected through Fiber to an DL380G5 with an HP HBA.

All Im trying to to do is access any kind of GUI on this thing. I know the 1510i controllers are iSCSI so I am not sure if this is what is preventing any GUI from recognizing it.

I noticed that the controllers can have an IP address set on them bu tthat doesn't help me since all I have is a direct fiber connection.
Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA1500cs - Initial Setup - Stuck Please Help!

Hello Justin,

you have a MSA1500cs mit FC I/O Modules and you put MSA1510i controller in it? If I understand you right, I have only bad new: This will not work. Never. You need suitable controllers (MSA1000).

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor
Solution

I just got lost, do you have a MSA1500cs or a MSA1510i? They are very different.

The MSA1500cs is accessed through fiber channel modules on the back. The MSA1510i through network ports on the back.

They look similar from the front, but use different I/O modules on the back and different firmware.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11945_div/11945_div.html

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12230_div/12230_div.html
Justin Vashisht
Advisor

Thanks for both of your responses.

This is what I bought...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=360154971187

It is a MSA1500cs shelll with 1510i controllers. In the ad the seller said he can put the Fiber modules in the back and I had them do that.

Looks like I have two choices form what both of you say...

1. Get MSA1000 controller and thatwill get m eup and running.

2. Obtain the ISCSI modules and get an ISCSI HBA.

Please let me know if this is right. 1510i controllers do not talk Fiber at all correct?

THANK YOU!
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

that is correct. MSA150i need Gigabit Ethernet IO Modules. So throw the FC IO Modules away and buy some new IO modules for the MSA1510i. Maybe you can give them back to the reseller and get your money back.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Justin Vashisht
Advisor

Thank you Patrick.

This is just for a lab so if I had my heart set on using Fiber since I already have the HBA and cables I would just need to get an MSA1000 controller as you said.

Thanks very much!
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Justin,

you can also try to find a MSA1000 controller on ebay. If it's a lab envoriment one controller would be sufficient. Then you need also only one FC IO module.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Justin Vashisht
Advisor

Perfect - Thank you, points given.