HPE EVA Storage
1752577 Members
5141 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA2000 SMU - can't delete a dedicated spare - help?

Bobscrew
Occasional Advisor

MSA2000 SMU - can't delete a dedicated spare - help?

Hi
I am managing an MSA2000 using the built-in SMU. It is fully populated. I have created a RAID6 VDisk using half the drives, and assigned two more as dedicated hot spares. I then discovered that the device supports global spares, which would be much more efficient. I therefore creteatred two global spares and now want to remove the dedicated spares. I've tried using >configuration>Manage Dedicated Spares> but I cannot select the spares in order to remove them - either in graphical or tabular view. I click on the select box and it briefly turns gray and then reverts to unselected. Could someone please tell me how to remove these dedicated spares? Thanks! Bob
10 REPLIES 10
Bhavnish Kamboj (BK)
Trusted Contributor

Re: MSA2000 SMU - can't delete a dedicated spare - help?

Follow the below procedure and if still it doesn't get deleted then please check if any utility is in progress on that vdisk or not.

1. Select Manage > Virtual Disk Config > Vdisk Configuration > Delete Vdisk Spares.
For each virtual disk, the virtual disk panel shows a status icon; the name, RAID
level, size, number of disk drives, and number of volumes; and utility status, if any.
2. Select a virtual disk.
3. In the Select Spare Drives To Delete panel, select the spares to delete.
Only spares in the selected virtual disk are selectable.
4. Click Delete Vdisk Spares.
When processing is complete, enclosure view shows the drives as available.

Thanks,
BK
Bobscrew
Occasional Advisor

Thanks - but the problem is that I cannot select the drive - I click in the selection box and no tick appears. I checked the status of the vdisk and it is doing a media scrub - does this prevent a spare from being selected? If so, how do I stop the media scrub process (as it runs all of the time).
thanks
Bob
Bhavnish Kamboj (BK)
Trusted Contributor

Bob,

Scrub is the background utility and doesn't impact on normal operational tasks.

Can you please share the snapshot of the screen where the checkbox doesn't get selected
Bobscrew
Occasional Advisor

Hi

I attach the screen shot. If I click on the selection box for either of the spares, they do not select. Seclection boxes work perfectly normally for all other functions, such as creating new vdisks etc.

I have tried IE7 and Firefox browsers, but the problem remains. Can you help?

thanks!
Bob
Bhavnish Kamboj (BK)
Trusted Contributor

The procedure which you are following is absolutely correct and drives should be selected.

What happens if you click on "Modify spare" without selecting any disk? Is this option greyed out or available to click.

If this also doesn't work then I would suggest to check with vendor for any bug.
Bobscrew
Occasional Advisor

The "modify spare" spare button works - and I can add additional spares - but I cannot select them for removal!

What's my best route for getting support from HP?
Bhavnish Kamboj (BK)
Trusted Contributor

Select your region from below link and then call on their support number

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

Choose call HP option rather than Email support. As on call response will be faster.

BK
Bhavnish Kamboj (BK)
Trusted Contributor

Hi Bob,

Any luck in deleting the spare?
Bobscrew
Occasional Advisor

Hi B

I haven't had a chance to contact HP yet - and have to grab a flight today to Geneva for a week. Will do so immediately upon my return!

kind regards
Bob