1752794 Members
5880 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA2012fc VDS error on Server 2008 R2

Juan van der Merwe
Occasional Contributor

MSA2012fc VDS error on Server 2008 R2

I have 2 servers I need to connect to a MSA2012fc. The one is Windows Server 2008 Enterprise and sees the SAN with no problems. The second one is Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise and when I try to connect using the 'Storage Manager for SANS' I get the following error...

Unable to find Virtual Disk Service (VDS) or any VDS hardware providers installed on *servername*. To use storage manager for SANS, VDS and at least one hardware provider must be installed. Check the VDS and VDS hardware providers installation.'
5 REPLIES 5
Robert-Vergeer

Re: MSA2012fc VDS error on Server 2008 R2

I have a two Server2008R2 server connected with an MSA2012SA also nog possible to install VDS. We are going to install Server2008(Not R2)to test with the installation of VDS. When trying to install the VDS Provider we got the error "Unable to register the VDS Provider". I wil update this post tomorrow.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi guys, had a case with HP about the VDS drivers and the answer about the VDS drivers for Windows 2008 R2 was that bugs are still being worked out by Microsoft.

Reason as to why this is taking longer is because the 2008 have the Vista kernel and the R2 have the Windows 7 kernel.

Robert: did you get it to work with 2k8 R2?
Robert-Vergeer

No its not working with R2. We just installed Server2008 without R2, The VDS drivers are working correctly with this OS. Now we are trying to get it working like a shared disk. We did make an Cluster in "Storage manager for Sans" Inside the cluster we set the two servers.
The storage is not working as shared storage. I seems to be working as local storage.

When we put files on the disk in one server the other server is not seeing the files.

I will update this as soon as i found out how.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> When we put files on the disk in one server
> the other server is not seeing the files.

Correct. Plain Windows does not have a shared filesystem implementation. You need an extra product like HP's PolyServe.

Please stop any experiments *NOW*. You have started to corrupt the filesystem as soon as the second server had mounted it!
Robert-Vergeer

Thanks for the advise. We are going to look at the software from HP.