7431 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA2012fc additional controller

HC_4
Occasional Contributor

MSA2012fc additional controller

Hello,

I have to install a second controller on an MSA2012fc. From the controller replacement procedure I read that the controller
can be added while the enclosure is powered on. Am i wrong thinking that I don't have to shut down the environment
that connects to controller A to install controller B? Also, I am almost sure that the firmware of controller A is lower
than the firmware of the new controller B. Does the automatic firmware upgrade triggered by Parnter Firmware Update require
the environment that connects to controller A to be down or not? Are there other things I should do?

thanks
Martin
4 REPLIES 4
HC_4
Occasional Contributor

is it controller A down, enclosure powered on?
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

Hi.
"controller replacement procedure", so keyword is "replacement", not "adding". I think that it's better to have a downtime for installation.
As for different firmware versions: it's just one more argument to install a controller with hole system shutdown and synchronizing firmwares offline. Theoretically, controllers can coexist with different firmwares (actually, a saw it with my own eyes...) but i still think, that it's not a good idea.
HC_4
Occasional Contributor

Well,
My first idea was to shut down the whole environment but then i read this:

(Installing the controller module
NOTE: You can install a controller into an enclosure that is
powered on.)

This is what made me doubt. If there would have been a controller installation procedure it would have been clearer to me. Anyway, thanks.
HC_4
Occasional Contributor

HI again,

So what i did is shutdown all hosts connected to controller A. Shutdown controller A, and power off the enclosure. Wear the degausing thingy and add controller b to the enclosure. Started everything up again, and now the management interface on controller A tells me that Controller B and its mgmt controller are down. At the back on controller B the warning sign is blinking.

THose are the errors I get for the newly intsalled controller B.

WARNING: RAID Controller B shutdown or failed.

Hardware Warning: RAID Controller B Failed System Detected Failure

AGAIN, from the controller "replacement" procedure I read the following statements

CAUTION: When replacing a controller, ensure that less than
10 seconds elapse between inserting the controller into a slot and
fully latching it in place. Failing to do so might cause the controller
to fail. If it is not latched within 10 seconds, remove the controller
from the slot and repeat the process.

I didn't count till 10 while adding the controller but it could be that I wasn't fast enough...

NOW

NOTE: You can install a controller into an enclosure that is powered on.

As I don't want to plan another downtime to test if controller B is really failing due to hardware problems i would like to know.

Can I remove and re-add controller B while the enclosure AND controller A are online??

Thanks,
Martin