HPE EVA Storage

MSA2324FC Problems with perfomance of copying large files

Mapi
Occasional Advisor

MSA2324FC Problems with perfomance of copying large files

Hello all,

we have a problem with a MSA2324FC. The basic problem is that, whenever you try to copy a large files >2GB to the MSA or copy from MSA to MSA the performance goes down until the transfer hang up completely. I tried all possible configuration of VRAID and disk combinations from 1 HHD until 12 HDD. It always the same. The attached server are DL380G6 with 2008 64 Bit and 2003 32 Bit it on both systems the same problem. All firmware versions are up to date. If the server is connected direct or trough a SAN-Switch there is no difference. Maybe someone have an idea about that problem.
I tried out so much, so very idea is maybe helpful.
12 REPLIES 12
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA2324FC Problems with perfomance of copying large files

in UNIX the largefiles option need to be enbaled on file system basis. Not sure if the same is applicable on windows platforms
Mapi
Occasional Advisor

Thx, but it not applicable in windows.
TTr
Honored Contributor

How bad is the perfromance? It could be normal. When you copy a large file, the caching effect on the array is very quickly defeated. When you read, the data is always fresh and has to come out from the spindles directly. When you write, the cache is always full of data and it has to wait until it is written to the spindles.

Also with this array, when you use high density external enclosures such as the MSA70 with 24 disks, the i/o demand is higher because of the limited interface bandwidth and the large number of spindles.
Mapi
Occasional Advisor

It's so bad that sometimes the server hangs completly or that the copy of a 10GB file takes more than 3 or 4 hours. Thats definitly not normal.
TTr
Honored Contributor

No that's not normal. You should look around the array and check that everything is in working order and that the settings are not too far off the default values.

Another area to look at is within the OS and the multipath driver. In some cases if the multipath driver is not set up properly, it can cause the array to go crazy switching paths and controller ownership for its LUNs.

By the way, what is the OS?
Mapi
Occasional Advisor

The OS is 2008 64Bit.
Yes I tried out a lot of parameters (Chunksize, Blocksize etc.) but not really big difference in performance. I also checked the MPIO settings installed it again and configured it in all possible ways, also no change in performance.
Mohamed Alkhatib

Any luck on this issue? i have the same exact issue. After 2GB file transfer the connection gets stuck. I tried different HBA cards and no luck. HP support told me that the enclosure raid card is bad.
Mapi
Occasional Advisor

No, still no solution for that problem. You are the third person who is reporting problems with big files in the MSA. The HP support changed all hardware and nothing helps its definitly not a hardware problem. I hope that HP will find a solution as soon as possible.
TechHelp24
Frequent Advisor

Mapi,

--->>>The basic problem is that, whenever you try to copy a large files.

--->>>The HP support changed all hardware and nothing helps its definitly not a hardware problem.

Sounds to me like a CRC Error....