HPE EVA Storage
1748246 Members
3513 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA2324sa multipath dual hosts volume synchronisation

Feller

MSA2324sa multipath dual hosts volume synchronisation

I have a MSA2324sa dual controller storage. On the storage I have configured a volume which is accessible from two w2k3 hosts. Each host has two pathes to the MSA with a failover policy (MPIO driver). The volume I have created is accesible from both hosts. But when I delete a file ex: d:\test.txt on the first host, the file still remains on the second host. Why is the second host not syncing to match first host ?
2 REPLIES 2
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA2324sa multipath dual hosts volume synchronisation

Because that is not what SAN storage is about. This is one of the most common misconceptions beginners have about SAN storage. The two windows servers know nothing about each other. They both "think" they have exclusive access to this disk. Which means they can both write to the same blocks at the same time, resulting data corruption. SAN disks are treated the same as local disks, not like network shares. Only if both servers are combined into a cluster can they share a disk. But even then, only one server has access to the disk at a particular time.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA2324sa multipath dual hosts volume synchronisation

Hello Feller,

NTFS isn't a cluster filesystem which can be accessed by more then one node at a given time. You can't present the volume to two windows hosts and access it from both sides. NTFS can't handle this.

You should use two volumes and sync them by using Microsoft DFS or something like this.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick