3510 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Migrating EVA4400 into a new location, new IP

nibble
Super Advisor

Migrating EVA4400 into a new location, new IP

Hi,
I need to transfer our EVA4400 (2 enclosure, 2 controllers, 2 switches) to a new location, about 25KM from the temporary DR site. this means that i will have a new IP. Any tips or manuals that I need? Here's what I have in mind.
Pre movement
1. label all cables, etc..
2. shutdown sequence (??)
3. Unrack the equipment

New site
1. Rack the equipment
2. Change the IP (how do i change?)
3. ???

Im a bit new in EVA and the one incharge for this activity. Any tips, manuals, etc will be highly appreciated. Bytheway, some of the servers connected to the EVA will be transferred too.

Thanks,
11 REPLIES 11
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

If you move the EVA4400 and the CV server gets moved with it, I would suggest taht you remove CV and install it again when you get it to the new location. If the host name or IP address changes on a CV system it will severly impact the usability of CV (in that it will not work.) Also, the link below has pretty much all the documentation you will need.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3664763

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

"...it will severly impact the usability of CV (in that it will not work.)" Which I would expect to be nothing more than: going in to Command View, clicking on the Discover button to find the array, click on the array, be told it was last controlled by a different management server, click on the 'Yes, I want to take control, I know what I'm doing' button, and resuming management operation. The same as when there are two CV management servers. I would not expect there to be any need to remove and reinstall Command View.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Actually, in the 2 instances where I had to change the server name... Command View did not continue to work after the reboot.

I just tried changing the IP address on one of my demo machines and Command View continues to work just fine. (I actually need to do this in the immediate future so it was perfect timing, thanks.)

There is probably some config file that can be modified to tell Command View that these values have changed, but I have not had the time to look for/research it.

It is not a matter of telling Command View it can manage an EVA, you can not even get the Command View login page from what I can remember. I can not test changing the name at this moment in time though

Is there anything else on the server that might get screwed up with a ip change?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
nibble
Super Advisor

Guys, I wont be changing any server name but the IP address of the Command View server, as well as the EVA 4400. How tedious or easy can this be? again, this will be move from one site to another as a rack. the servers utilizing the storage will be move together with it and will change its IP address as well.
Mustafa Gulercan
Respected Contributor

hi nibble,
Command view eva is just can manage the EVA storage.
you can change the management server's IP.
it wil not make problem.
As it told above;
"going in to Command View, clicking on the Discover button to find the array, click on the array, be told it was last controlled by a different management server, click on the 'Yes, I want to take control"

regards,
mustafa
nibble
Super Advisor

Thanks Mustafa. That's for the command view. How about for the EVA side? I will be changing of the EVA too, as well as the switches. I know changing IP address is not that difficult, but I would like to know the preparations or/and implications. if you can give me some tips please...
Mustafa Gulercan
Respected Contributor

Nibble,
Eva use FC Adapter Port WWN, not IP.
So it is ok to change servers' IP.
Ports' WWN are important.
You may select dynamic IP address from CV at hosts menu.
You can also see the FC WWN.
And switchs' IP's are just for manage.Not uses by EVA.
Don't worry about this.

regards,
mustafa
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Actually, the EVA 4400 has a management card that does have an IP address. The default address is 192.168.0.1 and you use "admin" to log in with no password.

the interface address for the gui is https://192.168.0.1:2372

From this web based gui, you can change the IP address of the management card.

This web interface is used to remote shutdown/restart your controllers when Command View is not available. Eventually, with new firmware it is supposed to have Command View built into it so basic management of the EVA can be done without CV-EVA Software running on a server.

Changing this IP as well as the SAN Switches IP's should not have any effect upon the SAN at all. Everything should continue to operate as normal. All of these interfaces are for management only.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Mustafa Gulercan
Respected Contributor

hi,
"the interface address for the gui is https://192.168.0.1:2372"
it is true but with CV6 and later versions.For command view eva 5.0, port number is 2381

regards,
mustafa