4262 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Migration from EVA4400 to EVA P6300

prmarques
Occasional Advisor

Migration from EVA4400 to EVA P6300

Hello all.

I'm planning a migration of all vdisks currently on a EVA4400 to a new P6300.

I really need right now yourhelp in creating a checklist or a raw step-by-step, so that I can create a plan.

I never done this, and I have a idea of what might be the steps, but I really appreciate any help from the more experienced users.

Thank you in advance.

Paulo

8 REPLIES 8
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Sadly, my crystal ball is in the shop, so it would help if you told us something about your environment.

• Are you thinking of using Continuous Access from 4400 to 6300?
  • Do you have host-based migration abilities?
  • Or are you planning on making duplicate virtual disks, presenting, copying, and taking a short outage to change LUN assignments?

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Also... what operating systems are running in your environment.

HP can supply you with a temp CA license in order to replicate all of your data over to the new EVA.  The question is... is your current configuration optimal and "the way you want it".  This is your chance to make changes to it with relative ease.

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
prmarques
Occasional Advisor

Hello.

and thank you Sheldon and Steven for your replys.

You're right, I should have posted a more elaborate scenario description.

Basically I have a EVA4400 running XCS 09534000.

It has 1 disk enclosure with 12 disks (FC 300GB)

1 disk group with 11 vdisks. These vdisks are presented to 7 hosts. No boot from SAN implemented.

The EVA CTRL1 and CTRL2 are connected to 2 SAN Switches using each host 2 single HBA.

My hosts are mostly Windows, both Server 2003 R2 and Server 2008 R2.

I have also 1 linux box and 2 boxes with Oracle DB.

Also have 2 Hyper-V hosts running cluster shared volumes and running some VM's.

I will have temporary Continuous Access licenses to perform the copy of all LUN between EVA's, however i'm a bit concerned and confused about the best way to proceed with the zoning, presentation and rebooting of the hosts, specially the hyper-v cluster nodes and the quorum.

thats why i came to you guys, to see if someone could shed some light on the best steps to go on this.

ty again

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

As far as the zoning and presentation, I think that's documented rather clearly in the HP P6000 Continuous Access Implementation Guide. I have not done anything with Hyper-V, can't give you any special insights there, nor do I see anything specifically dealing with it in the implementation guide.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

prmarques
Occasional Advisor

I know. I don't see any reference to that either.

That's why I'm asking here for personal experiences.

My plan is to configure Continuous Access to replicate the data between the SANs and afterwards change the presentation on the hosts.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

But I'm still unclear how will the Hyper-V cluster witll react to this, since Quorum disk aswell as VM LUN are also on the EVA.

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

for migration between EVA's

1) create CA between the EVA's and copy all the luns through DR groups (one DR group for each system)

2) copy all the hosts from one eva to the other best way is using SSSU capture configuration

3) create zones for all hosts with new EVA

4) check that you don't need to upgrade drivers and MPIO on systems

5) present all LUNs on DR side

6) shutdown system and give failover command for DR group (this switches replication direction and gives luns on DR side if presented to hosts)

7) power on hosts they should see new LUNs for windows system this is usually transparent for LINUX you have to identify new LUN and remap

if you can it's best to do snapshots before you start so you can have backup you can also delete DR group before you start but then if it fails you have to start over ( remember that when you delete a DR group luns on destination are write protected and sould not be presented)

Regards

prmarques
Occasional Advisor

Thank you so much giladzzz for your precious explanation.

That sure helps alot.

On step 6 you state to shutdown system and give the failover command for DR group. That means you shutdown the original EVA and give failover command on the new EVA (with DR group)?

On your last tip

(remember that when you delete a DR group luns on destination are write protected and sould not be presented)

can you elaborate a bit more?

Thank you again

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

You don't shutdown the EVA but the host system when you give a failover command to the DR group the EVA

switches between the source and destination this will work only if the destination lunes are presented to the host

if you delete a DR group the destination disks remain only the logical connection between the EVAs is deleted but the destination disks are write protected you have to change this from the virtual disk properties and also present it to your host. ( you can not delete a DR group when the destination virtual disks are presented)

Regards

press the Kudo star if you liked