HPE EVA Storage

Mirroring data from EVA 4400 to MSA 2000? (what: storage high availability for VMware)

sam bell
Regular Advisor

Mirroring data from EVA 4400 to MSA 2000? (what: storage high availability for VMware)

Hi,

since we are using more and more virtualized systems we are considering to implement a disaster plan in case the single point of failure - the SAN - fails. Currently we are running 25 virtual machines on two ESXi servers with redundant EVA 4400 as storage. As we are very satisfied with VMware it is likely that the number of VMs increases to 40 systems in the next three years.

Currently, if the EVA fails, the only possibility we have is to restore the VMs from backup. In the worst case we are loosing 25 systems at once and need hours - if not days - to restore all of them.

I guess mirroring the corresponding EVA luns to another EVA using Continuous Access might be a solution that could work. However, using a second EVA is quite expensive and leads the main goal of using VMware (which is saving money in our cases) ad absurdum.

Is there maybe a cheaper way of mirroring data to another SAN? I.e. to a MSA 2000?

Or is anyone aware of application based mirroring of virtual machines?

Thanks
Sam
2 REPLIES 2
sam bell
Regular Advisor

Re: Mirroring data from EVA 4400 to MSA 2000? (what: storage high availability for VMware)

After some additional researching it turns out that Veeam Backup & Replication and VizionCore vReplicator are exactly what I am looking for. I will use on of those products to replicate virtual machines to a backup SAN (most likely a renewed MSA2000G2fc with SATA hard drives).
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Re: Mirroring data from EVA 4400 to MSA 2000? (what: storage high availability for VMware)

If you wanted to have an end-to-end HP solution look at the HP Storage Mirroring software
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storage/software/sm/index.html

Read more about the implementation option here:
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02064700/c02064700.pdf

Cheers
Pete

I love storage