New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mixing HP05 with existing HP03

SOLVED
Go to solution
CyrilA
Occasional Advisor

Mixing HP05 with existing HP03

Hi
I have an EVA6000 with HP03 firmware disks.
I've just received new disks with HP05 firmware.
Can i mix them with the existing disks? or what is the process to add my new disks?
Thanks
Cyril
8 REPLIES 8
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
there are lot of different HDDs with different firmwares. The best to check if all goes as it should is plug the new disks (only 1 at a time) and then group them to the DG (8 at a time) and then run the HDD firmware bundle via the CV EVA code load. It will check all the disks firmwares:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3351789&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3302267&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=54
the pain is one part of the reality
CyrilA
Occasional Advisor

Ok thanks.
But, can i do that online? is there any risk for the production?
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Do the firmware upgrade before groupping the disks, it's a better idea.

All can be done online. Adding disks, groupping them and updating the firmware.

Always check that the firmare versions are the needed ones, on the disks and on the EVA:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01898270/c01898270.pdf

For example, do not add 1 TB FATA disks if the firmware on the EVA is below 6100.
CyrilA
Occasional Advisor

Actually, the new disk are up-to-date. i need to upgrade the grouped disks and these one are active 24/7. do i have to ungroup them one by one and upgrade the firmware? this EVA is critic for our activity that's why i want to be sure.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
no, as said (the disk firmware bundle link in my post above), it can be done online via the CV EVA code load (it works with only 1 disk at a time, not risking the double disk failure)
the pain is one part of the reality
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

With the currently supported firmwares you do not need to ungroup a disk to update it's firmware. Just send the firmware file to the EVA and it will update the firmware on all disks that need it.

The only exception is if you have vdisks in RAID 0, then you must delete these vdisks or ungroup the disks one by one.
CyrilA
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the help.
I will do that... finger crossed :)
CyrilA
Occasional Advisor

the previous replies gave me the informations i needed