HPE EVA Storage
1752340 Members
6225 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: More diskgroup less EVA8400 performance?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matias Mospan
Occasional Contributor

More diskgroup less EVA8400 performance?

Hello!, i'm actually planning the deploy of a SAN Solution, and need to know if the EVA8400 loss performance if it works with a large number of DiskGroup.
I think that is best to distribute the application in a large number of diskgroup so they don't have to share disk i/o, but i don't know if the HSV450 loss performance if it works with too much diskgroups

Thanks in advance!
Matias
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

The general Rule of Thumb with the EVA is that you want the least number of diskgroups as possible... maximizing your i/o potential from that disk group.

That said, Best Practice says to put all your disks into 1 Disk Group. There are reasons to split your disks though, some political, some technological.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Bulent ILIMAN
Trusted Contributor

How many disks do you have in your EVA?

one of the concerns in an "all disks in a single group" is the protection level, you can have a maximum of double protection, if you want to have more spare disk allocation you should create a second DG. On the other hand, if you leave unused space on a single group, this can be also used as protection level.

For 2nd Generation EVA's after 100 disks in a single group performance increase with adding disks was becaming almost flatline. I am not sure about the number in 8400 but if it is a fully populated EVA I should create 2 DG,
Taurian
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi Matias,

You can have your own reason to create multiple Disk Groups, but you should know the best practice and try to comply with it for best results.

I am attaching the Best Practices White paper for EVA configurations. Refer to page 6 for discussion on number of Disk Groups.

Hope this helps,

Rgds,
Taurian.
Matias Mospan
Occasional Contributor

Thanks everyone for the answers, the document attached by Taurian answer all my queestions, and more!.

Matias Mospan
Occasional Contributor

The document "HP StorageWorks Enterprise Virtual Array configuration best practices - White Paper" answer the question.