8686 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Move EVA4000 to new rack

ChrisVH1982
Occasional Advisor

Move EVA4000 to new rack

Hello,

We will be moving crouds of servers and storage from old Compaq to new HP racks in May. I wonder if you can help me with the following issue.

Can you confirm that the following procedure to move EVA4000 to a new rack or advise how to do best?

1. Make sure all servers connected to EVA are powered off or its volumes are not connected (e.g. Clusters disabled.

2. Power down EVA4000 using Command View EVA (alternative using Panels).

3. Push Power Button (Standby switch) at the rear of the HSV200 controllers.

4. Disconnect power and remove cabling

5. Relocate hardware and do cabling as before (see PDF attached)

6. Power on Enclosures and wait 2-3 minutes

7. Power on both HSV controllers simultaneous.

8. Wait a couple of minutes and check status using Command View EVA.

Thank you in advance!
4 REPLIES 4

Yes the steps are ok.

Only thing is that make sure cache batteries are in good condition.

I hope the entire activity will be taking not more than 2-3 hours.

So the above steps are ok.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
ChrisVH1982
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your answer! The cache batteries have been replaced last year and are fully charged. But does this matter if EVA will properly be shutdown?
I read on the HP site that preferred way of shutting down EVA400 would be using Command View EVA, alternatively using the panel at the HSV controllers. But using panels required to not take EVA offline longer than 96 hours.
But the procedure itself will not take more than 2 hours.

Purpose of batteries is to hold up the write data portion of cache (512MB) during a power outage or planned downtime.
├в ┬в There are two non-redundant lead-acid cache battery assemblies or bricks (three
cells per brick), providing power to the cache memory dual in-line memory modules (DIMMs)
├в ┬в When both battery assemblies are fully charged, they can provide power to the
DIMMs for up to 96 hours (holdup time)
├в ┬в A PIC processor controls the battery and cooling subsystem
Holdup time ├в The amount of time the battery can supply power to the controller's cache memory.
If you do not shut down controllers through Command View EVA or the OCP, you may drain the battery.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
ChrisVH1982
Occasional Advisor

Allright, I have 1 battery per controller which gives me half of the time. But I'll shut the system down using Command Vew EVA software which will flush the cache to disk.

Thank you for your detailled explaination, muss appreciated!